Alright time for a history lessson, I have questions on chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbc350

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I figured this maybe the appropriate section especially for those veteran loggers.

So I acquired a bunch of 404 chain and wondering as it's old oregon but 50J 52J 52L 52JG 26A, as well as 1/2 inch Homelite stamped chain if anyone knowledgeable on old school chain know anything about when it was produced or how long it ran in production for? The 404 varies from 050 to 063, semi to full chiesel that I know. It's mostly all NOS I'm curious on it's history, and yes for who may wonder some of the 404 will be going up for sale, 1/2 won't be

Attachments

• 20230710_184335.jpg
    20230710_184335.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230710_184328.jpg
    20230710_184328.jpg
    844.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230710_184324.jpg
    20230710_184324.jpg
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 0
I'll say the big box in the last pic is 80's since it's identical to the roll of .404 I have that was purchased with a pair of 2100's in 1986-ish. The others are probably 90's or later if I had to guess.
Not sure, a couple of us have been poking around without success for the 50 suffix chain and nothing on the 26 neither but I'm curious on production history, hopefully be able to find out more, I emailed oregon tonight let's see if hear anything back

Nice score! Seems like .404 chain is getting hard to come by.
Here I don't have a issue finding 063 404 usually, maybe a shortage due to all the Forrest fires in Canada though. A friend of mine is having issues getting 404 from his dealer for that reason but there are some in this batch that definitely isn't common guage being made like 050 404

I don't recall seeing loops of 404 on the shelf anywhere in recent memory. That's not a huge deal since you can have them spun to order from a roll, but I haven't seen a roll of 404 x .063 at any of the local dealers for about 8 years now, and 8 years ago I bought a 28" loop which finished off the roll that dealer had. They didn't replace it, and have since gone out of business (owner died and the family lost the tractor dealership status). There are 7 other Stihl dealers in the area. 4 of them are box stores, and I know one of the others doesn't carry any 404 chain. I haven't checked with the other two because I'm really never in their area. It surprises me a little bit because there are a couple decent size lumber mills in the area and a BUNCH of people who run a portable mill as one of their small businesses. I see trailers full of some pretty big (24" to 36") hardwood logs going up and down the highway every day. I would have thought there would have been more of a demand for it. Maybe they are getting it from one of the two dealers that I haven't checked, or maybe they mills are buying it by the roll and making their own loops.

I don't recall seeing loops of 404 on the shelf anywhere in recent memory. That's not a huge deal since you can have them spun to order from a roll, but I haven't seen a roll of 404 x .063 at any of the local dealers for about 8 years now, and 8 years ago I bought a 28" loop which finished off the roll that dealer had. They didn't replace it, and have since gone out of business (owner died and the family lost the tractor dealership status). There are 7 other Stihl dealers in the area. 4 of them are box stores, and I know one of the others doesn't carry any 404 chain. I haven't checked with the other two because I'm really never in their area. It surprises me a little bit because there are a couple decent size lumber mills in the area and a BUNCH of people who run a portable mill as one of their small businesses. I see trailers full of some pretty big (24" to 36") hardwood logs going up and down the highway every day. I would have thought there would have been more of a demand for it. Maybe they are getting it from one of the two dealers that I haven't checked, or maybe they mills are buying it by the roll and making their own loops.
I'm sure some mills deal directly but it'll be a region thing on chain sizes, our dealers here I know of 2 who sell it off the roll to what ever length someone wants at least when they have inventory. 3/8 050 and 058 is the most common outside of home owner saws using smaller stuff

Latest posts

Back