Asking too much for chain packaging to tell the sizes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, here is a box of STIHL saw chain, marked 3, different ways:

- Pictograph: bar length, drive link count, chain pitch, chain gauge, low kickback (have to recognize the green rectangle);
- STIHL model and drive link count (26RM3 81), which also lets you know that it is semi-chisel ('Rapid Micro') chain;
- STIHL stock number (3689 005 0081).

The last 2 of these require fluency in 'STIHL-ese'.

IMG_0354.jpgScreen shot 2020-10-23 at 2.22.17 PM.png

*** The irony, of course, is that the only reason I have this box, is to spin this loop down to 74 DL to fit an 18" bar! Now, I have to make changes to a bunch of these markings, as well as to the ones on the top end! ***

Philbert

Yeah stihl pre made loops are packaged nice. I can actually say about the same for the last batch of oregon chain I bought as well (just in pre made loops)
Their new consumer packaging seems to be clearer (on left, below). On the old packaging (on right, below), the pitch / gauge / drive link info was sometimes on the top, and sometimes not listed for packages intended for certain markets. I don't get it, but I am not in marketing.

Screen shot 2020-10-23 at 3.16.49 PM.pngScreen shot 2020-10-23 at 3.19.22 PM.png

Philbert

OK, here is a box of STIHL saw chain, marked 3, different ways:

- Pictograph: bar length, drive link count, chain pitch, chain gauge, low kickback (have to recognize the green rectangle);
- STIHL model and drive link count (26RM3 81), which also lets you know that it is semi-chisel ('Rapid Micro') chain;
- STIHL stock number (3689 005 0081).

The last 2 of these require fluency in 'STIHL-ese'.

View attachment 863199View attachment 863202

*** The irony, of course, is that the only reason I have this box, is to spin this loop down to 74 DL to fit an 18" bar! Now, I have to make changes to a bunch of these markings, as well as to the ones on the top end! ***

Philbert

ICK!!!!! That's green chain!!!!

This was a vent post - though I still believe they should tell critical data somewhere logical. Of course we can figure things out - after cutting open plastic clam shells. Then I got busy with hunting season that arrived so much faster than expected. It is here and I am exhausted from clearing timber - less than ideal for sure. Old stand by hunting spot now has an access road filled with Millennial's - some of whom can't be bothered to pitch their tents off of the road. Colorado's growth has introduced many lows to counter balance the previous highs. TOO MANY PEOPLE THAT THINK THEY ARE SEASONED ADVENTURERS BECAUSE THEY BOUGHT A LOT OF GEAR.

I bought those chains many years ago - before I knew anything about chains for my old saws.

Latest posts

Back