Altec LR3 service questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Golovkin

Golovkin

ArboristSite Lurker
Hey guys,

I'm not very experienced with bucket trucks, but I just purchased a truck with the LR3 lift and I'm wondering if I should replace the upper and lower drive cables.

It is a 1992 lift, and the cables were last replaced in 2005. Since 2005 it has had 2000 hrs on it. Altec says to replace the cables every 5yrs or 5000hrs, whichever comes first, is this what you guys recommend?

Replacement will probably cost me $4 -$5,000, but if it is truly needed I will do that. I just don't want to do it if it seems premature due to the low hours. I will probably only put 300hrs a year on this lift, so it isn't a big money maker for me.

Pelorus

Pelorus

Uva uvam vivendo varia fit
My 2 cents point of view on this: at a point in the not too distant future Altec may refuse to sell you parts for your 1992 lift. A corporate decision based not on condition, but purely date of manufacture. If I'm wrong on this, someone familiar with Altec's current policy will hopefully chime in.

treeclimber101

treeclimber101

UNCLE BUCK
Call them and hear it from the horses mouth what there policies are
teteravu.jpg

Latest posts