Alternate Band saw mill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennschumann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have any of you folks ever seen one of these... or have experience using one? It is a palette dismantler band saw, and it would seem (if the price was right) that this could be used to turn CSM'ed cants into 1x boards without the loss of wood from the CSM kerf. Yes, one would have to move the cant back and forth which would require a significant amount of effort, but with friends of strong back and persuadable mind (lubricated by food and beverage) and some applications of levers, rollers and pulleys, this would seem to be an alternative to a woodmizer or ripsaw style bandsaw. If it could be had inexpensively...

Thoughts?

http://www.smetco.com/bandsawDismantlers.shtml

Interesting. But it looks expensive. Would it give you accurate dimensional cuts thru a cant? Also very interesting that they claim it will digest all sorts of metal.

Scott

Those use a metal cutting blade and are set to the thickness of the pallet decking boards. They don't really cut wood, they cut the metal nails/staples. Pallet recyclers use them to reclaim the wood which they then nail back together into a different type or size of pallet.

You could not doubt change the blade and set it up with infeeds and outfeeds to rip cants. It would have to be had pretty cheap to justify the expense and trouble of trying to make it do the work of a regular bandsaw on a carriage.

Mr. HE:cool:

I'm trying to figure out why you would want to dismantle pallets?

It seems what they are doing is cutting through the nails of the pallets, okay then what? You still have boards with nails in them, although it is easier to knock out the nails on the top and bottom boards. Then again, why would somebody build a machine to take apart pallets?

I know a quicker way to get nails out of pallets..... :blob2:

I had a friend call me last week, telling me that he was doing work for a guy that was using one of these saws and rebuilding pallets and how nice the saw was. He also said the guy paid 17000.00 for the saw.

As for why tear apart pallets, I doubt they saw up good pallets. If they have pieces that are broke , saw it up and use the good boards to build new pallets. And yes you can pull nails out with no problem but if the pallets were stapled together you would never take them apart without damaging the wood. Staples hold 100 times better than nails.

Latest posts

Back