Alternative heat sources. Is anyone using Kerosene heaters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The smell can cause issues with some people. I have a couple friends who get whopping head aches almost instantly if they are around Kerosun heaters.

I've got a pair of Kerosun heaters, an old Omni 15 that is handy to sit in the middle of a room, or garage, or my sun room in the winter for heat in a 360° sweep. And, I have a larger reflector Kerosun that is nice to sit against a wall and let the heat reflect onto a specific area. Both are used primarily to heat shop/garage in the winter. Both have been pressed into service a couple times in the past few years when we've lost electric for extended periods during the winter due to storm damage.

P1070434.JPG P1070422.JPG P1070440.JPG

Kero has become hard to find around here too. And a couple years ago I bought what was labeled as Kerosene at a gas station but turned out to be un-taxed diesel for off-road use. completely ruined the wick, and sent waves of soot smoke. I guess it at least killed the bugs in the garage for a while. I did a complete disassembly, and clean up and put in a new wick and it is good as new.

Finally, here in PA the Lowe's stores and various farm stores, like Tractor Supply sell super clean K-1, but it is very expensive.

sure use it for main heat source @ 10$ gallon what could be better !!!!!!!!!!! hahahahha

If you can stock up on propane during the summer its a pretty reasonable fuel. Nice thing its most the propane heaters use very little electricity and can be easily run during power outages with an inverter or a small generator

How is that not constructive, it clearly points out that kerosene is not the most affordable fuel choice, albeit with a little sarcasm.

View attachment 330129 I have used a kerosene fired Toyostove laser monitor heater for many years. They are very efficient, no smell ever and put out 40,000 btu's. with a fan forced blower. Also bought 2 used units from a local school dept. when they upgraded to a boiler system. That should tell you how safe they are to operate. Price new back then was around $2000. They throw out serious heat and are used in thousands of rental units in my area. Many are propane fired, but I prefer kerosene.

Didn't know those existed in Maine. They are super common here. Work well.

mainwoods, is that unit vented? I think a vented unit like a monitor is fine and they just sip the fuel.
dave

Yes, vented outside and also pulls combustion air from outside.
Our rental house is heated with one, uses maybe 400 gal a winter.

Yea toyotomi lazers are really common here in Maine. They are a great little heater, its amazing how long and how much heat they can produce with only a cup full kero. However as I get 99% of my heat from wood I find propane to make more sense. I actually had a toyo semi on demand water heater too.

We recently picked up a NG wall heater (30,000 btu) for the finished basement as we primarily heat with wood on the main floor - basement would turn into a fridge during the winter months.

I have to say I'm very impressed with this unit - seems to just sip the NG but keeps the basement nice and warm (on the lowest setting). In addition to burning wood and having a generator for the furnace, this is part of our "backup plan" as it should have no problem keeping the house from freezing if things go bad (and I run outta wood for some reason).

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Natural-Blue-Flame/dp/B000UPR5TO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390835293&sr=8-1&keywords=wall heater natural gas

51FNy%2BbQBNL._SY300_.jpg
Had one of those in propane.Pushed heat in a big way(30000 BTU) in a well insulated 24 X18 ft. building.Very efficient! Only problem-MOISTURE!

Yea toyotomi lazers are really common here in Maine. They are a great little heater, its amazing how long and how much heat they can produce with only a cup full kero. However as I get 99% of my heat from wood I find propane to make more sense. I actually had a toyo semi on demand water heater too.

I'd never heard of them before. I had to explain to my parents too. I grew up in Maine, parents still live there.

Back