alternatives to topping?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi all,
not looking to start a flame war here ;-) :blob2:

I get a lot of requests from clients to top pines. Mainly they want to keep the tree, but are afraid of the height it will grow to. Some time during the 60's and 70's, someone planted a lot of radiatas all over the area where I live, like seriously overplanted. Since then a lot of the blocks have been subdivided and a second house built onto them. People do want a bit more sun in the winter, and they don't want a tree to be towering over their house. I try to recommend removal and re-planting with a more suitable species, but people aren't that interested. They want to keep the tree and top it, and aren't that interested in just thinning out branches... there's a fear of trees growing to be enormous, and I guess it's justified.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Shaun

remove them.

Hi all,

I get a lot of requests from clients to top pines. Mainly they want to keep the tree, but are afraid of the height it will grow to. Some time during the 60's and 70's, someone planted a lot of radiatas all over the area where I live, like seriously overplanted. Since then a lot of the blocks have been subdivided and a second house built onto them. People do want a bit more sun in the winter, and they don't want a tree to be towering over their house. I try to recommend removal and re-planting with a more suitable species, but people aren't that interested. They want to keep the tree and top it, and aren't that interested in just thinning out branches... there's a fear of trees growing to be enormous, and I guess it's justified.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Shaun

then plant something else.maybe a blue spruce.

We have three clients that yearly we set up our lift and trimm their blue spruces like shubs. We have been doing this for years and it seems to keep them under control. Don't ask me why they pay us every year to do this but hey, what the hell.

Yup, hedged a Blue Spruce for a couple last year. Had my doubts at first, but it looks nice. I also hedged up 2 Red Maples and a Birch for him, also look very sharp despite what I thought of it. Old couple that doesn't want their trees very big.

As for the original post, there isn't an alternative, if they want the height reduced. Educate the customer of the possible effects and if the trees can't take it, they'll have to go to plan B and plant something else. Then fire up and flop them tops.

Last edited:
I've got some pretty good photos of pines in my area that were topped 15 years ago, and they look frightening ;-)

But people are thinking more in terms of continuous pruning I guess, and the idea of having to wait 10~15 years for a tree to mature to the point it will provide the same level of shade is pretty offputting to most.

Shaun

I think I need to top the tops ...... just as an experiment..

Ever hear of the old lady who swallowed the fly? ;)

There's a great pine around here that is wider than it is tall, by a good amount. I think it got topped continuously. Best quote the couple has had on removal so far is AU$15,000! I think that's why people want to keep the pines in the area smaller. They know the day will come when it will be too big, too old and too dangerous to be sleeping under every night... and they want to keep the price of removing it down to something that's simply outrageous as opposed to heart attack inducing.

Shaun

5 years ago I spanked the top out of a few 40+ foot pines in a compromise deal with the owner. Just last weekend I went back and took out the regrowth that was about 15 foot of side shootin limbs. He as your client wants the screen but not the height. Well its kinda working and as these are P radiata pines I kinda don't care if they suffer some. Not recommended pruning practice but either is planting these weeds.

Hi all,

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Shaun

Same happening here . People get scared of their trees growing too big. I would be scared to have an hacked tree in my garden......Then if it's not possible to go for removal and replanting.....lucky one who can afford to say no to certain kind of jobs...but saying that after topping the result is "almost" nice.....that's just another pair of shoes, IMHO....Consider topping one of the worst thing we can do to a tree

How about when you take on a big job that has had 250 topped euc's? Let's say that they are over homes, parking and pedestrian paths. Let's say sideroxylon that have been mutilated in past years. Melalueuca's and coral's placed along a pathway? Just curious.
Jeff ;)

How about when you take on a big job that has had 250 topped euc's? Let's say that they are over homes, parking and pedestrian paths. Let's say sideroxylon that have been mutilated in past years. Melalueuca's and coral's placed along a pathway? Just curious.
Jeff ;)

That kinda what I have, about 10,000 a year or 20,000 over a 2 year pruning cycle clearing street trees vs. power lines. Sure we know its wrong and often removal is better if. I could jump in Mr Peabodies wayback machine and get them to plant correct species great, but thats fantasy. We aim to find the balance of the regulation keeping trees clear of line while best retaining the trees dignity.

That kinda what I have, about 10,000 a year or 20,000 over a 2 year pruning cycle clearing street trees vs. power lines. Sure we know its wrong and often removal is better if. I could jump in Mr Peabodies wayback machine and get them to plant correct species great, but thats fantasy. We aim to find the balance of the regulation keeping trees clear of line while best retaining the trees dignity.

Yeah, Woody, But what is the answer? Forget 20/20 hindsight, You are awarded a multiple year contact ( 3 year) and ANSI and all, How do you approach that job? Do you tell them what they do not want to hear.? Do you point out previous pruning problems without seeming to 'Dis' your competition?
Jeff ;)
still winking

For municipal line clearing gigs its accepted here that the legacy trees of old are treated in a poor manner. The regs stand over the trees so all cutters can do is find the best balance.
We are currently in disagreement with the Gov and Regulator about how hard they want us to cut a line has been past and we cutters ain't gonna do it.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad-ap...ees-trimmed-down/story-fn6bfkm6-1225941435008

Contact private works a trick as you say, if ya do the right thing by the trees you may loose the income as others will not and the client often cares less. A conundrum that the OP is facing. Perhaps time to educate the client if practical or possible. Time to say no way wont do it or time to smack a pine tree in head like I have many a time.
Your call, its your business your own view.

Jeff ;)

I'm just a small ant Jeff ;) never had to deal with such big jobs........try to get that landscaper and :buttkick:

:)

M

Back