Aluminum vs. Creosote

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron Head

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago there was a thread on burning alluminum to rid of creosote.
I had to try it for myself so I burned one large aluminum pan that we used to bake the turkey for Christmas.
A few days later I burned 3 empty 12oz beer cans.
Seems like it's working already becuase I don't get any creoste falling back down from the flue and my damper is also free of creosote.
I used to drink bottled beer but yesterday I decided to go "Green" and got a case of cans.
Drink the beer, use the case to start the fire, and burn the cans to prevent creosote which will make my stove more efficient.
Everything recycled back to the mother earth.
I'm thinking my daily consumption of a couple of beers is just enough to make my stove breath better.

I'm feeling good like a hippy.

How much creosote do you make in a day?
I don't have an exact measurement.
All I know is that the top of the damper cover always had a layer of loose creosote crums which that had enough blockage and resistence when I close the damper.
And also those first couple minutes of starting the fire with everything open, when the fire begins and lots of air drawin in and up the flue, I get can hear some creosote pebbles breaking loose and rolling down the stainless flue pipe.
Now I don't have any of that.
I get more creosote than most people because I burn low at night; I fully aware of the cause.
But now my problem is solved.

I read that thread too, what does the aluminum do to cause the creosote to disappear?
Can't imagine it burns any hotter than the wood.
John, I don't think the aluminum burns at all.
I watched the beer can shrinks and vaporizes up with the gases.
And I think the aluminum vapor either coats the flue wall and prevents the carbon molecules from sticking and crystalizing on the flue wall.
I really don't know but it's working so far so I am going to keep on doing it.

Any way you guys should give it a try and get first hand experience. Shouldn't hurt anything.

Last edited:
Stick it in your log splitter. A great big can Smasher!!! Whooohoo!

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

Hell forget the flowers. They make great 4 person sleds!!

Hell forget the flowers. They make great 4 person sleds!!

wow! amazing we never tried that as kids. ive got that one covered now tho. have an old wooden sled with 4 places on it. its the real old style flat bottom, no runners, shaped like a long "J"

Haha nice! We also took and put snowmobile skis on a toilet and had pot races too...

Back