always considered my self old-school

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldirty

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
be it my mentality towards work ( get it done) or the way i carry myself ( be proud yet humble and treat others the way you want to be treated)

and that old school mentality carried over to my climbing but i am now thinking it was ignorance when it came to my knot.

i have seen the light.

no longer will my big ass tighten up my taughtline hitch to the point of retieing the f'ing thing cause i am never going to use it again.

i gave the blake's a shot today and the thing was as smooth as butter. not once did it bung up and i purposely shocked it a couple of times.
i might one day get around to those other hitches but hey like i said.

i am oldschool and it takes time for an old dog to learn a new trick. and that blakes is new (to me) so it looks like it'll be the one for the next fives years just as that PIA taughtline was for the last five.

haha

ignorance truelly is bliss.

oldirty

I was climbing on a taught line only two years ago....I switched to Blake's and now to the martin, What a huge difference!

I switched to a Blake's from a Distel a month or so ago because it makes for simpler double crotching... and I really like how easy it is to use. It's at least as controllable as the Distel and so far, hasn't locked up even once. Haven't tried the Martin yet but I probably will at some point soon.

Nothing wrong with old school... old school deserves serious respect... but some of the new stuff that comes out is actually worth using. The problem is sorting the good stuff from the jangly overkill. The Guy who's teaching me is a tautline man, thinks other knots are for geeks and pussies... and he gets around a tree as good as anybody I've ever seen... but I think he could buy himself another few years of climbing if he used some newer toys and techniques... maybe not though... and who am I to say anyway?

Good for you oldirty. If you're feeling adventurous, throw a micro pulley under your new blakes setup.

I went from a blakes to a Mitchoacan......aka a Martin Morales. Basically a blakes with a prussic, basically.

I will never look back, a micro under it and your good to go!

Ok so I get the martin but how do you make the micro pully work and not loose your slack when the tails for eye and eye tighten back up.
Jared

Maybe I am just retarded and not making any sense this could be too

The micro just goes right below the knot and attached to the crab. There usually will be some slack but nothing more then a few inches. That is why I have my VT so small and tight. It keeps it right next to the pulley so there is only about an inch slip. The longer the tails are the more slack.

Old School College

I'm a bit like you Oldirty, but I still climb with the old three finger taughtline hitch, though there are times that I use a four finger when I get over high power lines.

I haven't adopted use of the newer stuff for the simple reason that they are difficult if not impossible to tie with one hand, though I have tried.

A micro pulley under my taughtline hitch is something I've been using for the last 7 or 8 years, and I love it and recommend it to others.

Old school simplicity with a few selective updates has served me well for 33 years in this business.

Never get too old to learn.

jomoco

Nice job Od. Personally I have tons of respect for people who at least try new things. You will like some, and not like others, but at least you try. I learned on the Blakes and moved on since then but I remember each step forward being like an awakening.

Old school

I learned the tautline two under, one over, no fig 8. Now I use a swabisch with a spliced length of tenex.. You did it the right way by learning the old stuff first, then progress to the new.......

the next time i get a chance to nose around in bailey's catalog with some money to spend i am going to pick a couple things out.

although it may have to be from sherrill because the last time i used bailey's i got mislead on a purchase.

my fault of course for not knowing exactly what it is i needed. 134$ mistake, but the purchase will find use.

oops

the only problem i have with this is going to be all the new "clutter" around my belt. kinda like something else to worry about while i am aloft.

we'll see though. cant hurt to try it. i've come this far. lol

oldirty

Old School one of the best movies ever made. How the movie didn't win every cateory in the oscars escapes me. You're my boy blue!

Ok so I get the martin but how do you make the micro pully work and not loose your slack when the tails for eye and eye tighten back up.
Jared

Maybe I am just retarded and not making any sense this could be too

Lol, I don't even know the martin, but love the Blake..been using it since I started climbing about 10 years ago, no 13 years...god I'm old and retarded. Lol.

the next time i get a chance to nose around in bailey's catalog with some money to spend i am going to pick a couple things out.

although it may have to be from sherrill because the last time i used bailey's i got mislead on a purchase.

my fault of course for not knowing exactly what it is i needed. 134$ mistake, but the purchase will find use.

oops

the only problem i have with this is going to be all the new "clutter" around my belt. kinda like something else to worry about while i am aloft.

we'll see though. cant hurt to try it. i've come this far. lol

oldirty

IMHO Sherrill has a great variety of equipment, all of it top line. Plus, with things like caribeeners that you don't ned to fit, you can order online and I believe they ship for free to your front door. Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure somebody will) but Sherrill offers the Master 2 Saddle, which is really the Buckingham saddle with a Sherrill tag.

I got ripped a new one for suggesting a way to have a Pantin connect to climbing spurs...think about it....the best of both worlds. I'm rambling....sorry.

Latest posts

Back