story about my 12 year old daughter saving a tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipper1081

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
On Tue. of this week my 12 year old daughter came home and asked to sign a petition to save a tree on her playground. They are getting ready to built a new playground. She did not see any reason to have to cut down the tree. In 1 1/2 days she got 145 people to sign it. When she turned it in to the principal she gave her some story about how its the same as her father (Me) killing a deer that had been atacked by a coyote. That is another story our neighbors are teachers at the school.And we should have joined the playground commite. So at lunch break her and bunch of her friends tied each other to the tree with jumb ropes. LOL Well come to find out they were going to cut it down today (EARTH DAY) most schools plant a tree ours cuts one down. LOL Well me & my wife made a post about it on our facebook page. The area news paper just called my wife to verify the info they had been given about the story. If they cut the tree down that is OK I just wish the principle would have treated it different. Like thank you for standing up for something you belive in we will take your petition into consideration. But thats not what happened. Thanks for teaching my child to to fill confidend in her self. I am sure some one in the community will bring up that we heat with wood. But I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Sorry for the rant I am just kinda pissed off about it.

thats a great story and you should be proud of your daughter. its a shame that the school could not find a middle ground like ( we need to take this tree down and if we do that lets plant 10 in our are or something like that) I my self teach my children give and take. I take my son out and cut firewood, but after work tonight I am taking my three oldest ones out and transplant few samplings from around my home. we all have to respect nature we arent all entitled to take without giving a little something back.

news paper article

Kellogg students protest to keep tree
April 23, 2010 @ 12:00 AM

CHRISTIAN

The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON -- Fearing a 20-foot pin oak tree would be chopped down to make way for a new playground, a group of kindergartners and fifth-graders at Kellogg Elementary School in Huntington formed a human chain around the tree on Wednesday to try to save it.

The protest worked, at least temporarily, and now the school is hosting a meeting at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 27, to hear the concerns of students, teachers and parents regarding the tree. The school is located at 4415 Piedmont Road in Huntington.

Kellogg Principal Eugenia Damron said the whole thing started when a group of students heard the tree was going to be cut down.

A fifth-grade teacher told the students that they could begin a petition and seek signatures. Fifth-grader Ashtan Frasher started the petition and got 145 names from students and teachers in less than two days, according to her mother, Terri Frasher.

Frasher said her daughter wanted to keep the tree because the kids like to play by it and enjoy looking at the birds and butterflies it attracts. Her daughter has always been interested in preserving nature and animals, Frasher said, but this is the first time she took a stand.

Frasher said her daughter gave the principal the petition on Wednesday. Damron said she addressed the concerns of the students at lunchtime. Students who wanted the tree to remain explained their reasons on a microphone in front of their peers. After each student spoke, Damron said she explained why the tree needed to be cut and thanked them for their input.

Damron said while she was impressed with the petition, she did not express that to the children. Instead, Damron said she asked the children in the cafeteria if they were willing to give up part of their playground for the tree. Damron said the majority of the kids wanted the playground.

After lunch, a group of students formed a human chain around the tree. They chanted "Don't cut down the tree" and "Save the tree," Damron said. By the end of the class period, the students stopped the demonstration and went to their next class.

Damron said the school has held more than 50 meetings over the last year regarding the playground, and typically few people show up. Kids and parents have had many opportunities to attend the meetings and speak about it with school administration, she said.

Damron said students also had the opportunity to help plant more than 40 trees at the school two weeks ago.

"I feel that the 40-plus trees we planted makes up for the one we're taking out," Damron said.

Frasher said she and her daughter were not given notice about the tree plantings. If the students were told, Frasher said kids would have helped in the effort.

After three break-ins at the school in the past two months, Damron said American Electric Power decided to donate six large lights, poles and the time it takes to install them. The tree, Damron said, is blocking the area that one of the lights will illuminate.

Damron said she hopes the playground and adjacent track will be used as a community center. The light will shine on the playground area and school, enabling families to go to the playground at night, she said.

The way the plans are now, Damron said the light cannot be moved. An AEP representative will be on hand during the Tuesday meeting to discuss relocating the light position.

Damron said the school raised $170,000 for the playground equipment, fitness equipment that will surround the track, and gravel for the running surface. The playground will feature swings, slides, a zip line, a sensory wall for disabled children and a three-tiered main playpiece.

Damron said she's looking for volunteers to help install the equipment on May 10

Well, I am two sided here I don't want to sound mean but it sounds like 40 trees were planted and one needs to come out. I commend your daughters effort but fear the fact that many peta members take this route. I have seen first hand some of their actions against hunters providing for their families. I understand your daughters effort to save the tree but also feel there was someone like me that was going to earn bread money for his child that may have suffered in these actions. I suppose it is always someone who suffers but why is it always tree men:monkey:

Dang Tree Huggers! They always get in the way of a logger doing an honest day's work.

Kudo's to your daughter. When I was in high school we brought down a bunch of trees from our property and planted them in a student park that the school was building. I went back to the school a few years ago and saw that all of those trees had grown up all big and strong.

I certainly believe in protecting some trees, but I hope you teach your daughter that it's not always a bad thing to cut down a tree.

Why in the world would the school want to light a playground at night? Seems like a huge waste of money to pay the electricity bill to light a playground that few people will ever use (at night).

Hello,
I was a teacher for 29 years and almost every principal I ever had dealings with was a pompous A-hole !!!!!

Basso

Well, I am two sided here I don't want to sound mean but it sounds like 40 trees were planted and one needs to come out. I commend your daughters effort but fear the fact that many peta members take this route. I have seen first hand some of their actions against hunters providing for their families. I understand your daughters effort to save the tree but also feel there was someone like me that was going to earn bread money for his child that may have suffered in these actions. I suppose it is always someone who suffers but why is it always tree men:monkey:

rope I agree with you about the 40 trees. We ae mad about how the principal treated my daughter.

rope I agree with you about the 40 trees. We ae mad about how the principal treated my daughter.

I understand public education seems lacking just look at me:laugh: I feel great care of how we deal with youth is a necessity as they will be the future for certain. Saying that I need to go hug my grand babies:monkey:

Latest posts

Back