Always keep an eye out!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
Reaction score
My next door neighbor, a good friend of mine with his own 'lil landscraping gig was lamenting to me his woes of having his Sthil backpack blower and a Sthil weedeater stolen outta the back of his truck, while he was working today.

Six or seven hundred bucks down the drain.

The worst that has happened to me was having my pull-lines we set at the end of the day cut-off head high.

Nothing like what happened to Derek.:(

So, anybody been hit any harder by stupid frigging thieves???

Suzuki ATV that was in running shape.
Honda ATV that was pretty worn out.
Four saws.
Blower.

Too many tools. The top box was about ten drawers tall FULL of hand tools. Box and all were taken. Bottom drawers were FULL of handtools and lots of air tools.

All gone. Damm thieves!

Tom

Had a couple 020's stolen as we were working by some very fast running kids.

As a result we always try to keep everything in the truck with the doors closed...it helps to deter .

Lost a lot of Master Locks and an upright Sears air compressor, brand new Stihl 660, and a Stihl cut-off saw. Still suspecting our neighbor... But the cop that showed up must be the fifth string.

Death to tool thieves!:angry:

Actually, I don't really want to kill them just slam them face first into the asphalt 3 or 4 times, hyperextend their elbows and ruin both knees then kick them in the genitals.

I'm a mild mannered fellow.:angel:

Been lucky over the years, just a jacket or two stolen out of the cab of the trucks in the winter, do know of a crew that had the street side tires taken off the truck while they worked in the yard in NYC. came out to start loading the debris that was stacked on the curb and found logs that they had cut under the axles.

Originally posted by Stumper
Actually, I don't really want to kill them...

What was that Arnold said?

"He'll live."

aaf_twisted.gif

I know a guy who works for a local city council as an arborist, he was up a tree when he saw some guys stop on the road and take the brand new 066 out of his truck. He yelled at his groundie who was below him but couldnt see the truck due to a fence between them and the road. The groudie (who was a little stoned) just gave the thumbs up and kept playing with the blower (which apparently was his favourite activity when stoned)
Guys got clean away.

I got a few saws and a near new blower nicked from my truck.I have had the same motorbike stolen twice.

My Friends

The man above was a murderer, the man below was a thief;
And I lay there in the bunk between, ailing beyond belief;
A weary armful of skin and bone, wasted with pain and grief.

My feet were froze, and the lifeless toes were purple and green and gray;
The little flesh that clung to my bones, you could punch it in holes like clay;
The skin on my gums was a sullen black, and slowly peeling away.

I was sure enough in a direful fix, and often I wondered why
They did not take the chance that was left and leave me alone to die,
Or finish me off with a dose of dope--so utterly lost was I.

But no; they brewed me the green-spruce tea, and nursed me there like a child;
And the homicide he was good to me, and bathed my sores and smiled;
And the thief he starved that I might be fed, and his eyes were kind and mild.

Yet they were woefully wicked men, and often at night in pain
I heard the murderer speak of his deed and dream it over again;
I heard the poor thief sorrowing for the dead self he had slain.

I'll never forget that bitter dawn, so evil, askew and gray,
When they wrapped me round in the skins of beasts and they bore me to a sleigh,
And we started out with the nearest post an hundred miles away.

I'll never forget the trail they broke, with its tense, unuttered woe;
And the crunch, crunch, crunch as their snowshoes sank through the crust of the hollow snow;
And my breath would fail, and every beat of my heart was like a blow.

And oftentimes I would die the death, yet wake up to life anew;
The sun would be all ablaze on the waste, and the sky a blighting blue,
And the tears would rise in my snow-blind eyes and furrow my cheeks like dew.

And the camps we made when their strength outplayed and the day was pinched and wan;
And oh, the joy of that blessed halt, and how I did dread the dawn;
And how I hated the weary men who rose and dragged me on.

And oh, how I begged to rest, to rest--the snow was so sweet a shroud;
And oh, how I cried when they urged me on, cried and cursed them aloud;
Yet on they strained, all racked and pained, and sorely their backs were bowed.

And then it was all like a lurid dream, and I prayed for a swift release
From the ruthless ones who would not leave me to die alone in peace;
Till I wakened up and I found myself at the post of the Mounted Police.

And there was my friend the murderer, and there was my friend the thief,
With bracelets of steel around their wrists, and wicked beyond belief:
But when they come to God's judgment seat--may I be allowed the brief.

--- Robert Service

Bad news

Always hate to hear of folks having things stolen. I'm glad I've never seen anyone stealing from me, we'd probably both be sorry.

Once someone jimmied the locks off of my delta truckbox, and got away with an 029, and 044. That defenitely pissed me off, a lot of it that killed me was I always had the box so full of stuff that I really don't know what all they got.

The worst time, I had my 97 crewcab f350 and 89 mustang sitting outside my shop - I'd taken my beater 85 chevy out cutting firewood, then went straight home with it. I get back to the shop at about 6 the next morning, and find that both vehicles have no glass left in them, no stereos, tools gone from truck, and everything inside all thrown about. Mustang had a nitrous bottle, mass air meter, valve covers, air filter, harnesses, shifter, and a few other things missing, and they'd scratched and kicked the stang a few times. needless to say that was about as mad as I'd ever been. I really liked paying the $500 deductible on both vehicles.

I asked about that and basically the answer I got was that things like that happen so infrequently that even if they could make something like that to fit my needs it wouldn't be worth it. They said that most of the time only one car gets broke into and when something like a fire or whatever gets more than one vehicle, it's often covered some other way.
who knows??

In Febuary I had every single piece of gear I own in the back of the guy I sub for's truck, and while he was at church on Sunday, his old climber, (who is a crack head) stole the whole truck. I lost about $2,000 worth of gear. We know this crack head stole the truck, he was the only one who had the key to the truck, and knew when Dave went to church each Sunday. When the truck was finally recovered, it was stripped, they even stole the trailer hitch. Even my throw lines and hand pruners were swiped. Who besides a tree man would steal throw lines, pruners, slings and a port a wrap? The crappy thing is we know who did it, but we cant prove a dang thing. Then to make matters worse about a month ago, we rented a Genie lift to trim a bunch of trees in a trailer park, and in the time it took me to come down, walk around the corner and fill up the 200. Some one drove by the lift and yanked a lowering line, whoopie sling, loopie sling, block and a porta wrap from out of the basket. I talked to one of the guys that saw the guy steal my gear and described him to another resident who informed me that the guy is question showes up every day to his storage shed that is right across the street from the witness, with a pick up load full of branches. The gear in question would have no value to any one unless they did tree work. The crappy thing is that both times I have been ripped off, it had been by fellow tree workers. :angry:

Well, it looks like I'm the winner, so far. Yippee! Over $30,000 in fraudulent checks and credit card charges by my former secretary/bookkeeper. Still trying to recover and repair my credit from that. :angry: :angry: :angry:

we had 2 woodchipper stolen and 11 chainsaws

think the chainsaws may have been an inside job, as the thieves cut a hole in the corner of the shed which was theonly blind spot from the burglar alarm sensor, then either sent a small kid in or used a hook.
im betting it was dirty filthy scummy diddy coys with a kid.

Back