Am I doing wrong???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDAA

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just keep getting more and more work in my area. Almost all of my bids I get. I have been running my service part time for the last few years. I admit i have had some low bids to get my foot in the door and to do the best work I can just to get the word out there about my business. I dont do that anymore. My market seems fairly strong around here compared to other places. Am I a low ball hack when I can bill out $125-$150 per hour for myself fairly easily? I have insurance, equipment, everything is dot inspected and I make money. I dont want to wreck my market but I want to treat people fair price wise and want to keep a good reputation. I have a bucket truck, skid, stump grinder, dump trailer, wood chipper, 1 ton dump, equipment trailer, gooseneck trailer, and a tractor backhoe. I run older used stuff but its not junk good looking, great working, used equipment with low hours. One of my competitors doesn't even climb, uses a step ladder and the good old pole saw when he cant get his bucket in. He runs a full time operation but does't even have a wood chipper. I try to do things as efficently as possible. He has to get his 2 1/2 ton truck, and his skid loader out for a small trim job, I just bring the 1 ton and the chipper. Am I doing wrong? Let me know what you guys think

Seems to me like you have been doing well. Word of mouth is the best or worst thing that can happen to a business. You have to be doing something right or else you wouldnt be getting more work..saying that its nature of the beast. you may have started out part time but when you do a good job and you are fair with your prices more and more people will contact you..then instead of part time its full time now. just works out that way. as for as your competition dependent on how long they have been in operation while a step latter is a poor way to do things but if thats what it takes for them to get the job done more power to them. Also you dont need a climber for take downs if you pick and choose your jobs lol.

Why do you think there is something wrong when you are making money?? Charge what the market will bear, its that simple.
It helps that your competition is a knucklehead.

I have noticed that a lot of guys on this site complain about not making enough money. Though I would agree that tree work is a hard way to make a living, there are plenty of guys in our profession that do very well. They just don't tend to spend their spare time on forums so we don't hear from them.

Your doing fine. Keep up the good work.

Our top of the market company around here charged a little old lady 1700 bucks for a silver maple limb that halfway broke and was resting on her roof. It had to be maybe 8" where it was attatched to the tree. They also did some pruning on it too. I dont think it even broke a shingle. I watched them do the job. They had a bucket, chipper and truck, and a crew of three. They were honestly there about three hours max. They lady told me about that job and she felt like she was robbed. They are a well established company that spends big bucks on advertising. She didn't even know that i did work in town. She just called the number in the phone book. I just don't ever want to send a bill and have someone feel like they were robbed. I sure would like to make that kind of money, But in this small bottom feeder bottom dollar town that wouldn't fly for too long. I dont want to ruin our market around here but I dont want to be charging that and making my customers feel that way. The crazy thing I can drive 25 miles to the west and sell jobs all day for a higher price than in my hometown. I believe its due to the local town economy is stronger there where the average income is higher than here. I just love working there, good money and people appreciate a good service. In this town you tell someone 1500 bucks for a removal and they think youre trying to screw them! Go down the road you tell them that without hesitation they say thats cheap! Put me on your list! Ha Ha!

We are all in the same boat

I got three men on a crew.i carry skid steer,stump grinder,dump trailer,bucket truck(when needed).itry to to base my work on 2000.00 a day which usually works bout right.some people think its high,some are fine with it.I have all the bells n whistles(ins.,license ,etc.).If your work is not worth that welllll.Ol worker of mine told me ,you get paid for what you do, but you also get paid for what you know.Im sorry but these weekend warriors cutting my throat does tend to pi.. Me off.iI stick to my prices,not going to get on their level n try to compete.

Latest posts

Back