Should I buy a Vermeer BC700xl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staegermeister

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just looking for some advice here outside of "get something bigger" I am currently stuffing brush into my 6x12 dump trailer. I found a nice Vermeer bc700xl practically brand new and could afford it at the moment. Is it worth buying this chipper? Most of my jobs are smaller trimming jobs, and occasionally Ill take on a large removal. I'm just getting tired of stuffing branches. This is something I could afford but im wondering if it will be worth it, or if I will end up frustrated with it. Anyone out there run a 6inch chipper?

my buddy bought a used one and had problems with them. He switched to a bandit and had problems starting it in the winter so he bought a portable block heater for it. They seem to be a good rental small unit when they work.

Bandit's come in various sizes and engines. One of my customers has a Bandit with a JD Diesel engine and it's very reliable, winter and summer. His only issue is. sometimes the snout plugs and it's a PITA to unclog which I will fix this winter. I'm adding a cleanout door in the lower snout for him to access the clogs when they occur. Bandit knives and anvils are the easiest to sharpen too. Do not get a cone head chipper. The anvils are a PITA to sharpen and the knives all have to be dimensionally the same (as in expensive to sharpen). Years ago I owned a CMC drum chipper that was stone reliable. Not sure they even make them today. Had a 4 cylinder Ford industrial gas engine with a Rockford clutch and it never had issue one with it.

One issue with new diesel powered chippers is, all the engines are now Tier 4 with common rail electronic injection so no backyard fixing except oil changes and air filter changes.

Lone wolf speaks wisdom.

I think anyone that is serious about getting a chipper and considers a 6x12 (bc700, bandit65xp, carlton 1260), will eventually want to move up. I don't think getting one of the above is necessarily a bad choice, in fact I say go for it. The reason being as soon as you see how quickly clean up goes with a 6x12, you'll soon learn how much it is also holding you back.

I was in your shoes last fall, bought a bandit 65xp with worm knives, a rounded anvil, tired kohler 25hp with an improper governor setting. It still upped my production by a significant margin over cut and stomp. Thats you first massive advantage.

Spent all winter doing tree work and made good money. Did the usual maintenance, knives and anvil, along with two upgrades, reversing autofeed, and a vanguard 35hp.. those were a big step up and if it fits it will chip.

I mainly do pruning in the winter and long with a few removals and storm clean up. Our trees aren't that big in nova scotia. I've ripped many 12" logs in half and chipped them, it just takes longer. Also, the 6x12 still require you to cut the crotches of hardwoods or limb up spruce tops. A 9 or 12 should have a big enough opening and crush power to not require this.

Also consider your tow vehicle, I have a 4cyl tacoma, I can't haul anything much bigger. The calton 1290 is the biggest I could haul.

I have no aspirations of doing tree work beyond what I'm doing, but I find myself wanting a bandit 12xp! Buy the chipper you will grow into, not the one you will grow out of.

Having said that, go for it, learn to adjust it and maintain it. Charge extra, even though your processing your material faster, in fact find out what it would cost you to rent for the day, and add that to every job at a minimum.

Cheers

Can you rent one first and try it?

I've rented a Vermeer BC700XL three times now. Chipped a full 30 yard dumpster each time, in about a day and 5 gallons of gasoline. Talk about getting a lot of work done that would take forever to burn or run whole to the dump.
Chipping limbs and small (5" or less) dead trees.

It handled all of that very well. If you are doing anything bigger then it's not what you want.

One of the rental units had what I suspect was a bad solenoid and it would stop feeding randomly and need to be turned off and back on. Productivity was about 50%. Didn't have a lot of hours but it is a rental.
Also had an issue twice where a short piece of log gets jammed against the cutter flywheel and just burns. Had to learn how to remove the springs, lift and shim the feed roller, and fish it out.

Learn how to change the knives.

Too small, get something bigger! Really.

Even the 935 is small, especially after running a 1000xl or bigger. We rent a 935 from a buddy/sometimes coworker. It's capable, but you really gotta baby it on bigger softwood (4-6" give or take) and hardwoods. I had to use one slightly smaller than the 935 for a couple side jobs, one being all Manzanita, and it was a PITA!

Can you rent one first and try it?

I've rented a Vermeer BC700XL three times now. Chipped a full 30 yard dumpster each time, in about a day and 5 gallons of gasoline. Talk about getting a lot of work done that would take forever to burn or run whole to the dump.
Chipping limbs and small (5" or less) dead trees.

It handled all of that very well. If you are doing anything bigger then it's not what you want.

One of the rental units had what I suspect was a bad solenoid and it would stop feeding randomly and need to be turned off and back on. Productivity was about 50%. Didn't have a lot of hours but it is a rental.
Also had an issue twice where a short piece of log gets jammed against the cutter flywheel and just burns. Had to learn how to remove the springs, lift and shim the feed roller, and fish it out.

Learn how to change the knives.

Burning is almost always faster and more efficient than chipping, both time wise and cost wise. 13 years burning/chipping experience.

I run a very old Bandit 65 its great does all i need if you can get one they are bit better than the BC 700 which a tad to small.

Consider the Vermer BC 900 a good in-between entry level size chipper but they can pricey new and do hold value second hand.

Bc900. I’ve run extremely hard. I’ve run 11” logs thru with the mini. Filled the chip truck 3 ties in a day. I prefer do to pruning. Wanted something smaller to chip in conservation areas, maneuver thru car delearships. Been great. Also, 90 degree disc eats palms, bamboo, philodendron etc here in Florida

Lone wolf speaks wisdom.

I think anyone that is serious about getting a chipper and considers a 6x12 (bc700, bandit65xp, carlton 1260), will eventually want to move up. I don't think getting one of the above is necessarily a bad choice, in fact I say go for it. The reason being as soon as you see how quickly clean up goes with a 6x12, you'll soon learn how much it is also holding you back.

I was in your shoes last fall, bought a bandit 65xp with worm knives, a rounded anvil, tired kohler 25hp with an improper governor setting. It still upped my production by a significant margin over cut and stomp. Thats you first massive advantage.

Spent all winter doing tree work and made good money. Did the usual maintenance, knives and anvil, along with two upgrades, reversing autofeed, and a vanguard 35hp.. those were a big step up and if it fits it will chip.

I mainly do pruning in the winter and long with a few removals and storm clean up. Our trees aren't that big in nova scotia. I've ripped many 12" logs in half and chipped them, it just takes longer. Also, the 6x12 still require you to cut the crotches of hardwoods or limb up spruce tops. A 9 or 12 should have a big enough opening and crush power to not require this.

Also consider your tow vehicle, I have a 4cyl tacoma, I can't haul anything much bigger. The calton 1290 is the biggest I could haul.

I have no aspirations of doing tree work beyond what I'm doing, but I find myself wanting a bandit 12xp! Buy the chipper you will grow into, not the one you will grow out of.

Having said that, go for it, learn to adjust it and maintain it. Charge extra, even though your processing your material faster, in fact find out what it would cost you to rent for the day, and add that to every job at a minimum.

Cheers
Thanks dude! your input helps a lot. Im stuck between going into debt for a bigger chipper or buying an affordable smaller one that will make my life easier. I am a career fireman and do tree work on the side. So most of my work is small anyway, I know I will outgrow a Vermeer 700, but I just need something to move me a long until that day comes.

I run a very old Bandit 65 its great does all i need if you can get one they are bit better than the BC 700 which a tad to small.

Consider the Vermer BC 900 a good in-between entry level size chipper but they can pricey new and do hold value second hand.
yeah ive considered it, but it's out of my price range at this point.

Thanks for all your responses. I just rented one before I decided to pull the trigger, I was happy with it. The smart feed system keeps things going. I wont say its a monster but it helped me remove 16 oaks for a customer which I never could have done with a dump trailer. I will buy one and it will get me started in the direction I need to go.

Back