Am I wasting my time with this Husky 181 cylinder??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am working on a few project saws (181), and have 3 P/C combo's and at least 4 spare cylinders for them.

My questions :

- the pistons all have thin rings and show all normal to me, except that the rings do not stick out as normal rings do (less springy). There's less material so that can be normal. Can anyone confirm ? Judging by rupedoggy's comment, thin ring piston saws should have lower compression ?

- I noticed also that the jugs have different markings on them, going from A, B up to D . I still need to clean all the pistons but noticed at least one piston that had a B marked on top, going with a B type cylinder.
Anyone know if these have particular tolerances and if the pistons can be exchanged ?

Lots of questions, looking for someone in the knowing.

thanks

From what I know - 181s come with the two thin ring pistons or one 1.5mm, the thin rings have less friction and appear to be faster running as many racers use these in their saws - mine has the 1.5mm:cry:

I would guess that with them being thinner, they have less outward spring but is worth making sure they are free moving in their respective grooves.
The A&B thing is where Husqvarna match their pistons to the cylinders, never heard of C&D, usually just A&B, it is to get the correct Piston to Jug fit to ensure a sweet running motor - many after market non OEM pistons will be manufactured to fit both A&B jugs.

Spud

thanks Spud.

The rings are indeed free moving. I just wanted to know what some typical compression values are with this setup, as it is difficult to see if the rings are still OK or need replacement, compared to traditional rings.

thanks Spud.

The rings are indeed free moving. I just wanted to know what some typical compression values are with this setup, as it is difficult to see if the rings are still OK or need replacement, compared to traditional rings.

Mine is running at 150 psi - anything over 130 is good and 150-175 is very good. All on a cold engine - 5 pulls max.

Spud

Roland, my 181 rings are the same but I haven't run them.
Being thinner you would expect them to not show the same tension as thicker rings but the don't expand like thicker rings I noticed. Lost tension?
Putting load on rings helps force the rings out, so I'd give them a run and see what compression you get. These saws apparently run good compression.

Roland, my 181 rings are the same but I haven't run them.
Being thinner you would expect them to not show the same tension as thicker rings but the don't expand like thicker rings I noticed. Lost tension?
Putting load on rings helps force the rings out, so I'd give them a run and see what compression you get. These saws apparently run good compression.

Al, I took the rings off one piston just to see if the rings had some noticeable wear, but could not measure unregular wear over the circumferance. The rings do not stick out though, will post a pic later this week. I think this is a typical thing as all 3 pistons I have look the same.

Will make some test after I assemble them.

I've seen guys run those thin-ring 181 pistons down to the point where the rings were pretty much shot and the saws still ran good. If you end up needing new rings though there's a couple places here that will make them for relatively cheap.

I've seen guys run those thin-ring 181 pistons down to the point where the rings were pretty much shot and the saws still ran good. If you end up needing new rings though there's a couple places here that will make them for relatively cheap.

Hey JJ, that is good to know. Will make some measurements first later this week, if I can find the time....

Hey JJ, that is good to know. Will make some measurements first later this week, if I can find the time....

I even have several 52.5mm thin rings from the Pioneer P-51 saws that can easily be sized to fit a 181 without much work. So there's a lot of options out there. If your piston(s) are worn down there's also the option of having it coated to bring it back into spec.

How do you measure the rings to see what they are. I have a few in a bag, and not sure what they fit. But there were some funny lookin little thin ones.

I have calipers, I just dont know if you measure them compressed end to end, or open

How do you measure the rings to see what they are. I have a few in a bag, and not sure what they fit. But there were some funny lookin little thin ones.

I have calipers, I just dont know if you measure them compressed end to end, or open

Measure their thickness, then measure the dia by holding them while you have the gap closed.
To the nearest even mm should do you on dia.

Hey arborist and Moss Man.....I've never done the utube thing, but I'll give it a try when I get this saw back up and running......You're right, these old Huskies haul chips!!

I've been running a 26" bar with full house chain on the old 181.......Stay tuned....LOL

So did you get the saw back running after sanding it?

So did you get the saw back running after sanding it?

Hahahaha.....This thread was one of if not THE first thread I started here on AS.....Amazing to see a blast from the past.:msp_thumbup:

Yes that 181 worked out great and I still use it all the time.....I can't even guess how many tanks I've ran through that old saw in the last few years. It still runs like a top!.........I was just getting rolling with the saw thing back then! Wow was I green!:msp_rolleyes:

Here it is in action.........

[video=youtube_share;WURccHqxhmk]http://youtu.be/WURccHqxhmk[/video]

Hahahaha.....This thread was one of if not THE first thread I started here on AS.....Amazing to see a blast from the past.:msp_thumbup:

Yes that 181 worked out great and I still use it all the time.....I can't even guess how many tanks I've ran through that old saw in the last few years. It still runs like a top!.........I was just getting rolling with the saw thing back then! Wow was I green!:msp_rolleyes:

You certainly aren't green anymore...now you're a sort of burnt Cobalt.

[video=youtube_share;WURccHqxhmk]http://youtu.be/WURccHqxhmk[/video]

Holy #### dude! How many saws do you have? Or do you just fix them?
I'm glad it worked. Did you just sand the cylinder or did you use the acid too? I used acid and sanded, but now that I'm done I'm pretty sure the acid was not necessary, just the sanding. Did your cylinder still have noticeable scores (like enough to catch a fingernail)? Cause a lot of people say these machines won't last for much with scores like that.

Holy #### dude! How many saws do you have? Or do you just fix them?
I'm glad it worked. Did you just sand the cylinder or did you use the acid too? I used acid and sanded, but now that I'm done I'm pretty sure the acid was not necessary, just the sanding. Did your cylinder still have noticeable scores (like enough to catch a fingernail)? Cause a lot of people say these machines won't last for much with scores like that.

A little of both...I have a few hundred carcasses at all times and 8 or 10 runners....Some come and go, but a few like this 181 have stayed and I use all the time for wood cutting. I cut my firewood and most of my parents firewood as well, now that they are getting on in years...That ends up being about 15-20 cords a year.

I really recommend the acid as well as the sanding. Otherwise you are wearing away at the chrome or nikasil lining in the cylinder, way more than you need to. Treat the aluminum transfer in small areas with the acid and be patient. I have cleaned up some cylinders that you would never guess could be saved and they pretty much looked like new after.

This 181 has one pretty good scratch in the nikasil that you can see in the pic in post #10 in this thread....I have cut and cut with that saw and it runs as strong as ever....A scratch or two is not ideal, but it's not a deal breaker either.

Latest posts

Back