American Accent

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jock

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Excuse me do you need an american accent to talk on here? or is it just a time difference and all you guys are still working and i'm going to bed, or maybe you just hate me now ? after the outburst with the guy from Oil country? who knows?, take a piece of advice ok I love Texas, and Sherrills, my brother lives and works in Hunstsville Alabama,other brother serves with the Royal Marines currently in Afghanistan....he was a climber(good one too) apparently they make good snipers? who knows?....anyway in my spare time i travel the U.S. and Canada on vacations and love it!! Even on my travels through Michigan I met up with a barmaid..(Little Buffalo was the name of the town) anyway her 2 friends arrived and she introduced me as Malcolm from Scotland... her friend whispered ....does he speak English??????? her other dim friend then asked me face to face if Scotland was near Russia?????(MY GOD)....Guys I own a 25 man company and am interested in your views on the industry, you are welcome to stay here anytime if you ever visit the U.K. .......Only thing we ask is before you leave the U.S. or Canada is that you pack a sense of humour before leaving as that is very essential before touchdown...thank you ...Jock

Must be a time difference, Jock. Right now it is 7:30PM Eastern time (4:30PM Pacific time) so most of the regulars are just getting here or will be on shortly. During the day it can be slow except the guys who didn't work that day.

Just think of all the new posts you will have to read when you get back on tomorrow night! :p

It's that, or else everyone hates your accent. ;)

Well, I'm like GMT + 12 I think.

Rob Murphy is a Kiwi and Graeme, who joins us from time to time, is does some scarriest rigging I've seen. He's an Aussie.

We got a non proffessional from Israel who mostly lurks.

Does Dimitri from Russia show up on this board?

I don't know how many Canuks we got here.

Maybe we should have the management build a routine to show the different countries our members are from?

A Swede or two come in every bow and then too.

:cool:

Welcome Jock.

Well you're getting a special view of Americans through this site - and we have a lot in common. Drank many beers with your people, hard to sink them under the table.

Dim-witted women, sure. Lots of them here but they're not out to pass any national intelligence standards, just look good enough to....well....they remind me of fishing lures, the ones with lots of feathers and colors. Consider yourself initiated to our culture.

Hope your brother stays dry and high and comes home soon.

Same goes for your travels over here. Anytime you're passing through I've got a spare keg and campsite. By the way, there's no oil around these parts of Texas, just hills and dying oak trees.

I think it's worth noting we have a large population of Floridians because they don't really see eye to eye with the people of the boreal region. :D

Unlike Europe, where each country is in the same time zone and can be traversed in hours (with a Ferrari), the US has a lot of very different people who speak different forms of English and have starkly different attitudes. It's interesting to say the least.

Nickrosis

I'm Canadian, but love travelling through the States. Have in-laws and friends, mostly in Pennsylvania, Virginia & Florida. Just got back from Virginia. Love the people, very friendly; restaurants, good food & portions; and service, always helpful. I did get annoyed though when some guy told me I wasn't a 'true' Canadian since I can't speak French. I found a few choice words for him anyway. The Separatists in Quebec have really skewed the perception that people in other countries have of Canadians (that includes our clueless PM).

Trees4life,

Être canadien doit parler français, eh? I agree totally with you. Quebec to Canada is like Philadelphia to Texas, or Washington, D.C. to Seattle.

Although I'm no nationalist, I clearly understand why when travelling abroad any of my local buddies insist they are Texan, not American. Anyone north of the Llano river is a Yankee.

I thought true Canadians used phrases like "Take off eh hoser!"

I'm sure that is a bit worn out.

North of the Llano, you are a Yankee; Dallas is part of Oklahoma right? Anything south of Victoria or the Nueces is Mexico. Anything covered with pines if Louisiana. El Paso.....well it is in its own time zone....que paso.

The boreal region. Sounds like tundra to me. That white stuff falls in the winter huh?

I'm second generation from north of the border and "eh" is correctly used at the end of a sentence, get it, eh? :D I'm stuck in the middle of a french canadian enclave here in the states, those are the true canucks, lots of Quebec and NB plates here in the summer time. Our Mites and Squirts(that like little league baseball for texas) travel to Montreal and Quebec for hockey tournaments.

Squirrels up here have to keep things covered up so they don't fall off in the winter time. Snow beats fire ants, killer bees and armadillos anyday! ;)

Jock, have fun and stop acting like a wee girl. Only kidding with ya. All types here, don't be offended if some don't like you, who cares, right?

Hey now. You obviously never 'ate no Armadillo chili.

At least the West did not vote him in, Ontario did!

I have yet to meet an Ontarian that will admit voting for the idiot, but I really didn't! Never liked him one bit. He's a major embarrassment and I imagine the entire country must be up in arms, not only for his policies and lies, but the stupid comments he has made in the last year.

Were you born in Alberta? I travelled to Alberta 20 years ago, and everyone I met was transplanted from the east. I wondered where they hid all the true Albertans.

Originally posted by trees4life
At least the West did not vote him in, Ontario did!

I have yet to meet an Ontarian that will admit voting for the idiot, but I really didn't! Never liked him one bit. He's a major embarrassment and I imagine the entire country must be up in arms, not only for his policies and lies, but the stupid comments he has made in the last year.

Were you born in Alberta? I travelled to Alberta 20 years ago, and everyone I met was transplanted from the east. I wondered where they hid all the true Albertans.

I never have voted Liberal in my life, mainly because they lie the worst of all. Mind you Stockwell Day did not offer much in the way of an alternative..... I am a transplanted Quebec Anglo, was born in Montreal, but lived in Alberta for six years as a kid, and again with the Forces '89-92, when I was dragged back east to Fort Fumble on the Rideau (National Defence HQ). I really would like to move back....anyone got any work out there?

This Kyoto Accord deal is very frightening...I do not think much thought has gone into its long term effects, but creepy Chretien does not care as he will be long gone and possibly dead when people really get miserable about it.

Jock,

Back a few years when the ISA conference was in B'ham I came over early for a holiday. Started in London and then to Portsmouth to look at old ships. Met up with some tree-friends there. They joked about the Scots in the same way that we joke about trailer trash and hicks. Just good natured regional ribbing. I really enjoyed the time in Scotland and found the people much friendlier than in the south. The accent is the best!

Spent a night in Dunlop. Probably some thin family connection. The story my Dad tells is that the ancestors were told jail in Scotland or the colonies. Ended up in New England and then shagged to the midwest. Along the way the name got changed to Dunlap.

When I was in Dundee I went aboard the ship that was Scott's on his last successful Antarctic expedition. I ducked as far as I could into Shackelton's cabin. He is one of my all time heros and getting to see the place that he lived was amazing.

If you ever get to Minneapolis, give a shout.

Tom

Hallo kinsman, Jock. I'm another Scot - just immigrated several generations ago! ( I suppose the family had to do something after Scotland was deforested.) Welcome to the site.

AS far as Canada's PM.. could be a CIA thing.., you never know.
Been to Scotland... 'bout the friedliest people you'll ever meet..
They talk about 1747 like we talk about Vietnam.. Free Scotland!!!
Daniel
PS William Wallace really was 7' tall.

Latest posts

Back