American Elm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Streblerm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked up a trailer load of what I think is American elm. The trunk was all that was left when I got there. It was about 32" dbh and 24" about 14' up. Should be 1-1.5 cords.

63a422c5-ad21-14b7.jpg

63a422c5-ad2f-128a.jpg

Tr
63a422c5-ada5-c568.jpg

The guy I got it from said it was oak, but I know that's not the case. It smells kind of weedy, not like urine though.

It is Good Firewood

Let it dry for about 4 months before you split the rounds or until the bark starts falling off. Let the ends check up. I burn this wood all the time. Makes a good mix for oak, locust, mulberry, etc.

Looks like Red Elm/Slippery elm. Could possibly be siberian elm, but I've never seen one in real life before. Definitely NOT american elm though.​

The leaf is smooth underneath. As I looked more at leaf size it is obviously not American elm. Probably Siberian or Rock elm.

Using the Spider elm ID thread I would say by the size of the leaf it is Siberian.

After a bit more research it does indeed look like I have a load of Siberian elm. What threw me was the size and shape of the tree. Most sources list the size of a mature Siberian around 18" dbh and this tree was nearly double that. It also has a straight trunk without a branch for a good 16'.

It will burn. I have too much locust and oak in my pile anyway. :msp_tongue: perhaps it is time to "borrow" my splitter back from dad. The fiskars was useless in busting the rounds apart and marginally useful in the chainsaw quartered ones.

I may give them some time like Wood Doctor suggested.

Last edited:
Back