American Elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeguy224

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok i have a question.........is the diffenrence between the American Elm and the Siberian Elm the leaf size? Does the american elm have a bigger serrated leaf than the Siberian elm?

Ulmus pumila, Siberian Elm; LEAVES: 3/4 to 3" long, 1/3 to 1 1/2" wide, acute or acuminate , usually equal at the base, nearly simple serrate, witht he teeth entire or withonly one minute tooth
Ulmus americana, American Elm; LEAVES" 3 to 6" long, 1 to 3" wide, acuminate, unequal at base, doubly serate.
Also the American elm tends to not grow to be very big without suffering from Dutch Elm's disease, whereas the Siberian is quite resistant.

By the way the info came from Michael A. Dirr's book "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants." It costs a lot but is worht it's weight in gold. ( It weighs about five pounds.)

what about chinese elm- whats the species? I have been told that there is a difference between a siberian and a chinese elm. one characteristic i'm told, the bark is slightly knobby like a hackberry. what do you think?

The chinese elm known as the lace bark elm(Ulmus parvifolia) is very different, it is a smooth barked tree, but the bark looks as if it is peeeling off, sort of an orange color to the bark.

Latest posts

Back