Amsoil laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had napa order me a pallet when they had it at 4.99. I also just got 30 cases of 15/40 for the diesels at 6.50 a gallon. I don't like running out or not getting a deal.

I have read Duramax and diesel forums, this and many more and the Amsoil stories are always entertaining.
25,000 miles without an oil change!!!!
(Not in my truck!!)

I've gone at least that far without an oil change.

Sort of.

I do change the filter now and again.

Does adding a quart at every fill-up count as an oil change?

Amsoil bar and chain oil is way overpriced to be feasible. It would be fine for someone who starts his chainsaw once a year to clean a few branches, but it is not feasible for heavy use. I used some several years ago and it is real good oil, but not at that price.

It never ceases to amaze me how people bash Amsoil, though. If you don't want it, then don't use it, but don't bash it unless you are willing to try it. It is what it says it is and YES you can run 30,000 miles or one year between changes. If you don't want to run it that long, that's fine, but it WILL protect your engine that long. I don't even look at mileage. I change all of my vehicles once a year. For me, that is only 6-15 thousand miles.

I have read Duramax and diesel forums, this and many more and the Amsoil stories are always entertaining.
(Not in my truck!!)
Amsoil filters last 5 times longer than than the leading brand!! (What Walmart, thats actually possible....)
Amsoil prevents acne, STD's and ingrown toe nails!!!
Sure. For what they charge it should also prevent cancer.
Is it just me or does it seem that Amsoil is part of a Scientology type religion?
It seems to cause cult-like symptoms, especially with new dealers whose heads are filled with Christmas like sugar plum dreams of multi level marketing profit windfalls. Is it good oil? Yeah I bet it is. I just dont buy into the David Koresh mind melt that seems to go along with it. Maybe its just me? I don't want to die in a texas farmhouse I just want good synthetic oil.....:monkey:

Have you ever tried it? I'm as tight as they come so to spend $10 for a quart of oil is unheard of for me. It's not like amsoil is the only company claiming this. Royal purple, mobil one, shaeffers and i'm sure others. You either like or you don't you trust it or you don't. I'm sure your the type of guy that mixes 32/1 just to be safe. I'm the type of guy that trust when a company releases a product that the millions spent on r&d is correct and can be trusted and don't assume I know more than the company just because I don't think it sounds right. It's real simple if you don't think amsoil is a good fit for your truck or saws or flugelhorn than don't use it! But don't bash something you have never tried and don't assume that everybody who does is drinking the kool aid. Maybe there are actually people that like to spare no expense when maintaining equipment and deem it to be a quality product.

It never ceases to amaze me how people bash Amsoil, though. If you don't want it, then don't use it, but don't bash it unless you are willing to try it.

I have tried it and it is a very good oil. Maybe the best. I run synthetic oils in everything, knowing it may not make one :censored:bit of difference. Who has ever had an oil related failure in anything? Not a :censored: failure related to the operator being stupid, lazy, or did not know how to adjust the carb, but where the oil failed. Not where the engineered designed, cast or forged something bad, but where the oil failed? It is not all that often, relative to the attention paid to a specific brand of oil.

So if the users would admit they are OCD, and the sales people zealots, and we only use it 'cause if makes us feel better, the bashing would stop.

Originally Posted by ghitch75
walmart= poulan bar oil...$5.99 a gallon...

"SuperTech bar lube is nothing more than 30W oil. No tacifier added at all. I gave away what I bought."

I gave mine away, too. I did seem to be straight oil like 30W. Worst stuff I've bought. For bar oil, I mean. This was the green jug Poulan from Walmart.

Last edited:
.... YES you can run 30,000 miles or one year between changes. If you don't want to run it that long, that's fine, but it WILL protect your engine that long.....
Any good synthetic oil will do that.
I first tested Synthetic on an Engine dynamometer in 1974. I've used it ever since. I've been adhering to a strict schedule of changing oil once a year, whether it needs it or not; never a problem.

As far as bar oils go plain ole poulan farm store variety is what we use around here I dont even think its $5 a gal but a gallon lasts so long it isnt a problem I dont see any real reason to pay any more that what the cheapest stuff costs?

As far as amsoil goes or any synthetic that advertizes long oil changes this is my .002 and its just been my observation over the years.

I have a salesman type customer that wears out a car every few years and he thinks going 15k-20K between oil changes is saving him money but all his cars leak out of the rear mains (and every other seal and gasket but thats the killer) because the seals are hard as rocks before 100k, so in retrospect he has changed the oil about 6 times instead of 20 (@ 5k interval) and the engine needs $1000 of repairs or more and has a severly depreciated resale value on what should be a perfectly good used car with all highway miles makes no sence to me but he loves the stuff. :)

Kansas

Amsoil is not the only one to state this, I know Mobil 1 is similar as my friend runs it in all of his trucks. Likely any decent synthetic oil will do same. You need to have good filters but it does work.

I have a diesel which goes twice that far on Synthetic oil, and we have sent the oil away for testing every 5,000 miles. The diesel does have a bypass filter on as well as the standard filter - which gives it the extra distance. The standard is changed at 25,000 and both at 50,000 along with the oil. The oil actually is still showing good results at the end of the tests (we have actually only run the full cycle once doing this and are on 2nd one) The stuff according to the tests does not loose much of whatever makes oil useful to an engine, which may be because it is a lot more tolerant to heat than normal oil.

The oil at the end of an oil change is close to being as clean as the day it went into the truck. I would not have believed it until I saw it, my other vehicles are all black color after about maybe 3,000 miles using standard oil.

We did it really to see how well it does work, hence the bypass, etc. Wanted to give it a fair test. And according to the test results it is working, and actually despite the cost of the filters and oil, if you change at these intervals then it will actually be no more costly than normal Walmart oil and filters. Two years ago if you had told me this I would have laughed at you.

The one who talked me into it was my brother, who is into aviation, and the this is the only oil they use in aircraft.

Last edited:
Wasnt bashing Amsoil, I admitted its good stuff. Just having fun with the mentality that goes with it like its magic beyond comparison.
Like many others said most synthetics will do the same thing. I run synthetics in almost everything I own, if there was an easy way to buy it for the same price as most other synthetics I would try it. Someone post a link, I get 5 quarts of Mobil 1 for $21 at Wally World, 4 quarts of Rotella synthetic for $22 so if the price is $10 a quart I aint interested.

Mobile 1 is good oil and came on the market shortly after Amsoil. It is cheaper and more available. Part of the reason that it is cheaper is that it has cheaper/fewer additives. Every maker of synthetic oil could make oil as good as Amsoil, but most do not want to put the cost into it and want to sell oil to the poor dogs that have been brainwashed to think that oil has to be changed every 3000 miles. I would not hesitate to use Mobile 1, and Castrol full synthetic as I know that they are a good product. The others are also-rans as far as I am concerned, but still better than petroleum.

The main thing to remember is to stay away from the semi-synthetics. Oil has legally only got to be 1 percent synthetic to be called a "semi". Get off the fence! Either use petroleum or synthetic, but the semi is a ripoff.

I think I read somewhere that semi has to be at least 20%? Still a ripoff though you are right. The only way I would pay (and do pay for my motorcycle oil) $10 a quart is if its 100% ester synthetic not a highly refined group 3-4 oil. I know Mobil and Rotella, castrol are not esters but they aint $10 a quart either.

Last edited:
Mobile 1 is good oil and came on the market shortly after Amsoil. It is cheaper and more available. Part of the reason that it is cheaper is that it has cheaper/fewer additives. Every maker of synthetic oil could make oil as good as Amsoil, but most do not want to put the cost into it and want to sell oil to the poor dogs that have been brainwashed to think that oil has to be changed every 3000 miles. I would not hesitate to use Mobile 1, and Castrol full synthetic as I know that they are a good product. The others are also-rans as far as I am concerned, but still better than petroleum.

The main thing to remember is to stay away from the semi-synthetics. Oil has legally only got to be 1 percent synthetic to be called a "semi". Get off the fence! Either use petroleum or synthetic, but the semi is a ripoff.

Agreed!! Did not know that 1% qualified as semi-syn.. But agree fully either use synthetic or don't.. but personally it seems to be worth the extra money in my experience.

Ok Wikipedia says semi are NO MORE than 30%....

Valvoline says theirs IS 30% synthetic..

http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/semi-synthetic-motor-oil/

Still cant find what the minimum % is supposed to be...

Checked the Amsoil site everything is between $8-10 bucks before shipping, couldnt find anything that said any product was 100% ester(man made)..any Amsoil guys out there know?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back