Why do "Chinesium" chainsaws need a richer oil mix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If an OEM has the proper quality and documentation procedures, it doesn't matter where the product is made. A Stihl saw made in China would be just as good as one made in Germany if they set up all of the same procedures. We saw this when the Japanese car manufacturers started to manufacture here. There was no loss in quality. Meanwhile, after about 50 years in the US market, the big 3 American auto manufacturers are far from matching the quality of Honda, Toyota and Subaru. It's the system, not the country. I am not saying the Chinese clones are as good as the originals. I have no experience with them. My best guess is they are not. But I would be pretty sure a genuine Stihl saw made in China would be just as good as one made anywhere else.
Having spent a number of years working for both Japanese and American Tier 1 automotive suppliers, I'm going to disagree slightly. When the Japanese first started making vehicles here, their quality suffered because the workers didn't want to follow a bunch of rules made up by a bunch of "Japs". It took a while, but those issues got worked out. At the end of the day, a good production systems helps a good worker do an even better job, but it won't make a lazy, arrogant, idiot any better than the day he/she walked in the door.

Pretty low HP numbers and notice the test figures include the use of a catalyst muffler.
None of these are EPA compliant.
That's right, as far as the catalyst muffler is concerned. On the other hand, presence in the database means compliance ( with the lowest possible "useful life"). And, of course, maximum power is given in kW, not HP.

That's right, as far as the catalyst muffler is concerned. On the other hand, presence in the database means compliance ( with the lowest possible "useful life"). And, of course, maximum power is given in kW, not HP.
They are not being sold with catalyst mufflers that I have seen.
If they are compliant they will have a compliance certificate number like these.
20240513_152708.jpg

Attachments

• 20240513_152803.jpg
    20240513_152803.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
They are not being sold with catalyst mufflers that I have seen.
If they are compliant they will have a compliance certificate number like these.
View attachment 1177105
Not necessarily. The mark on the end of the sticker does mean that Stihl has documented that the saws are compliant when they leave the factory. I'm not sure if that ANSI spec requires the saws to actually have the mark or not. If the ANSI spec doesn't require the mark to be on the saw in order to be compliant, the the saw doesn't need it.

Not necessarily. The mark on the end of the sticker does mean that Stihl has documented that the saws are compliant when they leave the factory. I'm not sure if that ANSI spec requires the saws to actually have the mark or not. If the ANSI spec doesn't require the mark to be on the saw in order to be compliant, the the saw doesn't need it.
ANSI and the EPA are two different things. ANSI is voluntary and the EPA is backed up by the Clean Air Act.
If they are EPA compliant the will have a sticker stating such as the ones I posted pictures of do.

Having spent a number of years working for both Japanese and American Tier 1 automotive suppliers, I'm going to disagree slightly. When the Japanese first started making vehicles here, their quality suffered because the workers didn't want to follow a bunch of rules made up by a bunch of "Japs". It took a while, but those issues got worked out. At the end of the day, a good production systems helps a good worker do an even better job, but it won't make a lazy, arrogant, idiot any better than the day he/she walked in the door.
I worked for a Tier 1 to GM at one time and your comments are spot on.
Chinese manufacturing is OK with someone like Toyota, Honda, Stihl, etc over seeing the operation. On their own not so good.
In addition the methods they use to make raw materials are antiquated and thus they are lower in quality. For instance Chinese steel is still made from iron ore lump and fines, whereas US made steel has been using benefacted pellets for decades. As a result US blast furnaces have much tighter quality control over their end product.

ANSI and the EPA are two different things. ANSI is voluntary and the EPA is backed up by the Clean Air Act.
If they are EPA compliant the will have a sticker stating such as the ones I posted pictures of do.

Compliance with ANSI B175.1 is only apparently voluntary, as it is required by Title 29 (Labor), so it is unlikely that any recognized manufacturer can afford not to comply.

This is true of the sticker. It should be placed somewhere so that it is visible to the user.

Latest posts

Back