An afternoon in the woods with the boy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpOnTheHill

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
image.jpeg I was lucky enough to spend the afternoon in the woods with my son (9), cleaning up a blow-down. Weather was perfect and the ground still frozen. We both got some much needed exercise. I believe this is some kind of maple, but not sure what exactly. Anyone know? It is pretty hard and dense, very heavy.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thats what I originally thought but all the syrup guys say they are running like mad right now. This one didn't show any signs of sap except for in the very ends of the limbs. Maybe it wasn't running due to its obvious poor health/root structure? I have another tree to drop that is dead. It's some kind of oak That I don't recognize. It's a decent size tree, probably about 26-28" dbh. I should have got pics of that today as it's very near this little maple.
Thanks for the help fellas.

My boy is 13 now and some ofthe best times in my life have been when we're working together, or just messing around, in the forest. Treasure your son and I'll bet he will treasure you.
I enjoy every day with both of my children. It's a challenge sometimes to get them interested in things outdoors, especially my daughter. She is what you would call a "homebody". Lol. When summertime comes around though, they both like to spend some time outdoors, so it all works out.

Nice! Father-son time like that is awesome. (Although with me it's father-son-son-son-son-son time.) :rock:

Did you let him steer the tractor?
Steer it, of course! I let him pull it out of the barn for me today for the first time. Low range at idle. He got a kick out if it. He's a very cautious person when he knows it counts, which is a great virtue. He puts his "serious face on" as my wife likes to say...lol

Got it all split up today. I'll stack it into these racks this week after work. I built 5 of these small racks and plan to build more very soon. I cut fork pockets into the bottom rails and plan to buy forks for my tractor soon. Hopefully this works out alright for moving the racks in the winter. I keep about 3 to 4 weeks worth of wood right outside the family room door, under a 4 ft overhang.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Latest posts

Back