Stihl 090 Early Conrod Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziechainsaw

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was lucky enough to get a early Stihl 090 a early few months back and even more lucky to have start and run after some fresh fuel.

But this is where my luck ran out. While I was showing a close friend of mine how lucky I was to get my very first 090 and how easily it started. I gave it a few quick revs ( and they were just low quick stabs) it suddenly stopped. I was very disappointed to say the least.

I removed the recoil cover and the crank would turn freely in any direction about 300 degrees but never a full rotation. I removed the spark plug and put a camera down the bore, perfect. I removed the exhaust manifold and carby to have a look at the piston and once again perfect. Work, homelife and a few more chainsaws already pulled apart saws got in the way until Sunday.

I removed the cylinder head to find some extremely bad news. This early model of 090 has the 2 piece conrod and one of the conrod bolts has come loose and found it's way logged into the crank case.

Some questions that I would like to know re the following;

1. Does anyone know exactly what year Stilh decided to go from the 2 piece conrod to the one piece ? If so is there anyway I can tell with pulling several saws apart ?
  2. Can you Stihl purchase the conrod bearing ? I have not checked to see if the bearing are worn out but given it's age I am sure they could use a freshen up.
  3. 2nd hand conrod assembly, does anyone have one that they might want to sell ?
  4. Even if I replace the conrod with another I would like to replace the conrod bolts, does anyone know if they are available ?
I have attached some images, and yes I know it is dirty, but it's how I got it. I never got the hance to clean it.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone and your thoughts.

Cheers

Justin

Attachments

• 20220918_181123_resized_1.jpg
    20220918_181123_resized_1.jpg
    745.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220918_181118_resized_1.jpg
    20220918_181118_resized_1.jpg
    716.1 KB · Views: 1
Hi Everyone,

I'm still having issues finding a the very least a 2nd hand/used conrod with bolts for me very early 090 of mine.

Would anyone have any idea's of someone I can contact ?

Also does anyone have the Stihl part numbers for the conrod and the conrod bearing ?

Cheers

Justin

Can't help with any particulars but I have 2 thoughts. Does the Contra use the same rod assembly? Can you use a later 1 piece crank in your case? Don't know if your goal is originality or functionality.

Can't help with any particulars but I have 2 thoughts. Does the Contra use the same rod assembly? Can you use a later 1 piece crank in your case? Don't know if your goal is originality or functionality.

Hi CB,

Main goal is originality. It will just go into my growing collection of chainsaws and maybe get used once or twice a year when friends come over. All I was going to do was give it a really good clean up and that was it before the conrod bolt broke.

The main goal now since it is apart is to give it a freshen up with new piston and rings plus replace the conrod, bolts, conrod bearing.

I have been told by several people that the conrod is the same out of the Stihl Contra chainsaw, now I have the part numbers from DND ( thank you ) I will check and confirm.

Cheers

Justin

Latest posts

Back