An Avalancher sort of afternoon!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, No doubt you had a bad day and told a good story about it, but, an Avalancher Day? You didn't fill your shorts, you're not in the hospital, and no one died. I really don't think you had an "Avalancher Day".:cheers:

hmm,sounds like one of my better days. In fact, if you dont end up coming home with a severe limp,the dog aint pregnant by a local minister, and the wife aint fixin brussel sprouts and ardvark gonads for dinner,its a good day.

But, I see that you are trying to enjoy the good life associated with being locked out of the house with a belly full.Ive been told that a good tantrum is good for the soul as well as the local hardware store, and my local dentist assured me that it is also good for his business as well. I have learned the hard way that having a tantrum and heaving tools might feel pretty good until they bounce off the barn door and take out a tooth or two.I never knew that a 12lb sledge could bounce like that, but it has also given me a great party opener.You would be surprised how many lies a guy can come up with on how you lost a tooth when properly lubricated with a little Bud light!

So,in short, it is important that you properly set yourself up for a few misfortunes.You will be far more entertaining at the next family gathering! I woulda repped you,but I gotta spread it around a bit first.Someone hit him for me, will ya?

Should have stuck with the fishing. cause we all know a bad day fishing is better than a good (bad ?) day working....rep sent

oh yea! a little advice. NEVER trust a fart. glad you made it in the window safe.

Last edited:
I can't believe anyone looks at their watch that much! :cheers:

*Tried to rep ya, but wouldn't me :(

Last edited:
Rep'ed ya...great read!
Although that did sound like an easy day compared to Av's dillemmas!

I've got a place you can go the next time your wondering how the day will go
www.murphy'sLawCalendar.com
It's a cool tool to see if your gonna get screwed or not.A tip .... if it say's it's your day...lock yourself in the house away from sharp objects with plenty of libation!

Rep'ed ya...great read!
Although that did sound like an easy day compared to Av's dillemmas!

I've got a place you can go the next time your wondering how the day will go
www.murphy'sLawCalendar.com
It's a cool tool to see if your gonna get screwed or not.A tip .... if it say's it's your day...lock yourself in the house away from sharp objects with plenty of libation!

Not at all what I'd have expected YOU to post. I was expecting something more to the effect of, "Your first mistake was deciding to leave the fishing shack."

Dunno why. I seem to have a vague recollection that fishing's an interest of yours. :)

Not at all what I'd have expected YOU to post. I was expecting something more to the effect of, "Your first mistake was deciding to leave the fishing shack."

Dunno why. I seem to have a vague recollection that fishing's an interest of yours. :)

I can't blame the guy for leaving...not all of us catch fish when out fishing.
I wasn't gonna rub it in! Yet since you brought it up Woodbooga I spose I could have rubbed salt into a wound...not like there wasn't already enough pain inflicted for the day.
Here's a short vid of one of my pro staffers showing you how to land fish...

Av, you are the grand master of the hard luck story. I'm just happy to be an apprentice of sorts.

Keith, I'm no Bill Dance, but I can hold my own fishing. Yesterday was one of those days when the fish were there, on the flasher and on video, just not interested in anything we had in the tackleboxes. When I pull the trigger on a Yukon, I'll bring the rods and reels when I come up to pick it up. Nice video BTW.

I couldn't get your link to work though.

Thanks to everyone else, and I'm working on sending return rep to all of ya.

Steve,

Some days it just dosn't pay to chew through the straps.

One of these days I'm gonna see the clear indicators early on, and just enjoy a good book for the rest of the day, instead of playing with pointy things and mechanical beasts that are known for ripping limbs off, while trying to ignore the theme from Jaws playing in the background.

Good to hear nobody bled, lost an eyeball, the cat didn't get strangled(Needs it though), and ya didn't have to just cut your skivvies off for bieng tardy to the pool.:cheers:

Call it a win!:hmm3grin2orange:

And btw. That shin of yours ain't done getting abused. Just a heads up.
It's a curse that once started, has to run it's course of every damn thing at shin level, including spring poles and Pintle hitches getting thier shots in for several days.
Get the Ice pack ready.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Steve...I just made up that murphy's law link...LOL
..as to Bill Dance ...now that's one goofy fisherman!
Now there's a guy that needs to view the ML calendar!
Have you ever seen his out takes...too funny...more girlscout moves than you can shake a stick at.

Steve seriousouly...my mission when it comes to fishing is getting guys to scale down or get into finesse fishing when it get's tough out there.
I'm always out with guys...many who are pretty good sticks,but after a day on tough fish they pretty much admit I was able to tune them into to a great way to trigger that strike. Of coarse there are those days that only a dupont spinner will raise them.

Yeah no kidding. I had to pull the B&C off the 362 on one of those "184" oaks. Damn if these things don't have a mind of their own... I used the 660 to block up a monster oak later on. Man does that power make a difference! But the weight just kills you after a while.

Next week we have a date with Oakzilla!!! There is a 30"+ red oak that has to come down. That is going to be a job for the 660 with the 32" bar... And then another 3 tanks of gas blocking and noodling...

Hopefully we don't get too much snow this week. It's already hard enough getting around in there.

More rep!

-Dave

In defense of "184 Lumber" from the other founding member, Dave's oaks are some of the most puzzling trees I have seen, especially for a clearcut where you can drop them anyway they lean. He has had a few on his property where the trunk is going one way and the top is going exactly the opposite and it has been impossible to guess which way they want to go. Then to add insult to injury we have both been guessing wrong on some of them. :mad:

We have the theory that the Oak Union is very strong on his property and they are seeing what we are doing to their bretheren and are taking corrective actions to foil our efforts. As we sat back at the side of the clearing we have made this winter, we were in awe of the ~200x300' oval we have cut in the woods and the number of trees we have cut up. We got a lot of wood on the ground. :greenchainsaw:

Youkon

Steve when you pull the triger on the youkon. I would like to see it in action as I am going to purchase one for next year. I am over in pine city. I am using a daka 521 now, and it is go for wood alot. Please post when you have it running. I would come over if that would be ok with you.

Steve,

Some days it just dosn't pay to chew through the straps.

One of these days I'm gonna see the clear indicators early on, and just enjoy a good book for the rest of the day,

that shin of yours ain't done getting abused. Just a heads up.
It's a curse that once started, has to run it's course of every damn thing at shin level, including spring poles and Pintle hitches getting thier shots in for several days.
Get the Ice pack ready.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yeah, take the day off, hmmph, har har! Like that'll really happen!

On the shin, mine are heavily magnetic, and as a result the front of my shin bones feel kinda like a haybine sickle LOL! Receiver hitches are the worst, and unsecured ones that catch my leg in parking lots have been known to disappear. They're removable for a reason, put the ^*#@ things in the toolbox when ya ain't using them!

Steve...I just made up that murphy's law link...LOL
..as to Bill Dance ...now that's one goofy fisherman!
Now there's a guy that needs to view the ML calendar!
Have you ever seen his out takes...too funny...more girlscout moves than you can shake a stick at.

Steve seriousouly...my mission when it comes to fishing is getting guys to scale down or get into finesse fishing when it get's tough out there.
I'm always out with guys...many who are pretty good sticks,but after a day on tough fish they pretty much admit I was able to tune them into to a great way to trigger that strike. Of coarse there are those days that only a dupont spinner will raise them.

Bill Dance outtakes are funnier than the 3 Stooges!

My finesse technique probably does need a lot of work, too many days of just tossing in a big sucker minnow and waiting for the pike to get aggravated with their turf being invaded. Always had more fun fishing for something who's attitude is usually worse than mine!

\He has had a few on his property where the trunk is going one way and the top is going exactly the opposite and it has been impossible to guess which way they want to go.

We got a lot of wood on the ground. :greenchainsaw:

As long as it's on the ground, and no one's hurt, it's good. If I remember right, the pics of the lot are a big hillside? Trees can grow funny like that when they poke above the trees below them and the wind starts training them the other way. I've got a few humdingers like that out back.

Steve when you pull the triger on the youkon. I would like to see it in action as I am going to purchase one for next year. I am over in pine city. I am using a daka 521 now, and it is go for wood alot. Please post when you have it running. I would come over if that would be ok with you.

Will sure do, but heck, Pine City's halfway up to Kieth's neck of the woods from here. Maybe go spend a day fishing with him and get a stove show at the same time?

youkon

Hey Steve sorry I thought you were in grantsburg wis. That is only 20 mi away, or is that where the GTC is being held.?

Back