An interesting new approach to safer chainsaw usage - The Branchsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph Dedic

Reaction score
Hello,

I am an currently and MBA student with the University of Northern Iowa, seeking to attract interest in a local inventor's business, Pachyderm Industries. His product is the Branchsaw, which I am including a picture of in this post.

This is a chain saw that can grasp onto branches, and be operated remotely from the ground. Our intent on this site is to seek general feedback, interest and ideas in the saw. Please let me know if anyone would like more information, I would be glad to answer any and all questions, as well as put you into contact with the inventor himself. I am not trying to solicit anything other than opinions from experienced arborists!

Thank you,
DSC_0088.JPGDSC_0072.JPG

in the tree, out of the tree, or a pinch..... Is it a drone, hovercraft ?? Looks as if a climber has to set it, move it, tend it ,etc etc... Interesting, yet baffling...
That’s pretty much what I was getting at. There isn’t a scenario that I can see hauling that up over my top handle.

We need to see video of it in operation. What keeps the tool from flying / flinging off once the severed branch drops away?

Looks like a manual version of the Sennebogen articulated, boom saw.

Philbert

An interesting idea. For feedback, we live in a time-is-money world. So--

1. How does it get into working position? How much time does it take to get it there?

2. How does it evaluate how a branch will move as holding wood decreases to zero? If a human still has to do that, where is he?--as in, does he have to be in more harm's way below the branch to be cut than above it in the tree? I'm assuming he had to be in the tree to place the saw in the first place. (Many branches do not fall in a vertical plane away from the cut, if they have subsequent side branches they will twist as they sever.)

3. Assuming the bar doesn't get pinched, how long does it take to move to the next cut? It appears from the photo that it has to be re-placed by a human, so does it save anything?

4. Can it survive a fall, and if so from how high?

It may be a nice start to robotics taking some of the danger away from arborists' work. But I think it is possible that much more capability--as in the ability to climb trees and put itself into working position--might be required before it is feasible. But this might be a start. I've seen some pretty impressive dancing-dog robots, so this might go somewhere.

And lastly--"I am an currently and MBA student..."--did similar AI to that in this device proof-read before you hit 'send'? (Don't take that seriously, it's a joke.)

I notice two things from that video. First, it cut away before the branch fell on and crushed(?) the fence.

Second it cut away again before the device fell on the ground as the tree was cut through.

Why? Those were both completions I was looking for. If the branch damaged the fence, there is another problem that a human would have taken care of with a rope. In the second, a human would have prevented the chain (probably still running) from being dumped in the dirt.

And missing, especially in the first one, was how the device got up into cutting position in the first place, and how it got down after the branch fell on the fence. I admit I'm guessing on the fence, but if they didn't want me to guess they should have included the next few seconds of video.

I'm not dissing this thing, just don't cut out the details that might make it look problematic. It makes one suspicious. But if all the human activity is required anyway, what does it add that justifies the cost?

If it's going to sell, this has to be answered.

Hello,

I am an currently and MBA student with the University of Northern Iowa, seeking to attract interest in a local inventor's business, Pachyderm Industries. His product is the Branchsaw, which I am including a picture of in this post.

This is a chain saw that can grasp onto branches, and be operated remotely from the ground. Our intent on this site is to seek general feedback, interest and ideas in the saw. Please let me know if anyone would like more information, I would be glad to answer any and all questions, as well as put you into contact with the inventor himself. I am not trying to solicit anything other than opinions from experienced arborists!

Thank you,
Why doesn't the inventor come on here himself. This is BS, if you watch the whole video on screwtube, you see an extension cord and the guy using a string to engage the blade.

That’s pretty neat looking. How do you get it in the tree?
Currently, the design is to be used either with a lift or cherry picker or even a ladder. The grabbing capability is also functional to the point that it can be used in tandem with a rope/pulley. The overall goal is to have the user away from the saw as it is operated. In a few weeks we will have some more formalized information (and hopefully a video) to share with the community here. Thank you for asking!

I think the issue is that the inventor has no experience in tree service. There’s no way to rig anything without a climber or bucket, and nobody is going to take the time to use this thing as intended.
Saws come with handles,, Some with two handles, some with motors... Some with motors and two handles.. After thinking about that thing,, Me thinks it's a flop.. Back to the drawing board

Back