An interesting new approach to safer chainsaw usage - The Branchsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if our answers might be misplaced on this; this is largely a site visited by professionals who know how to saw a limb off safely because they are doing it tens to hundreds of times a day (excluding me, I drove the hearse), and this device looks like it is an intended solution to all those Youtube videos of amateurs at the top ends of ladders getting knocked to the ground and seriously injured as the limb comes off. What is the impression of a professional arborist of this device with those weekend-chainsaw-warrior-arborist videos in mind?--maybe it has merit in that light, in an application where time is not money and being at the saw when the limb goes is obviously dangerous.

Except for the fact that the idiot standing on the ladder with the beat Poulan isn’t going to spend the money on something like this. Plus, they still need the ladder to get it up there…
Ha--good point. But might he rent one after watching a few how-not-to-do-it videos? Maybe. A rental agency could pull a collection of a dozen such videos that might be convincing enough.

That said--I now have difficulty imagining someone who doesn't have the sense to saw off a limb safely from the end of a ladder, to know how to saw one off safely when on the ground underneath at the end of a controlling rope. You're in the US--what liability might be pinned on the manufacturer when someone saws a limb off with one of these, and instead of them getting knocked off a ladder they get beaned on the ground with the remote saw coming off the limb? The legal ramifications should never be ignored in a litigious society where judgements are unpredictable.

...and please stop dissing my old beat Poulans...(I have 2-3700's and a 4200).

It might have an application in the right place. Maybe mitigating hazard trees from a distance? Supported from a cable on a jib? Replacement for C4? Something used for special situations?

I remember when no one could figure out what to do with a camera on their cell phones! Or what we would do with a ‘personal’ computer in our homes! Store recipes?

Philbert

Latest posts

Back