And I Will Always Burn You...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I could find black birch. It just plain doesn't grow around here and nobody plants it. Instead, they plant river birch and occasionally white birch for decoration. River birch is practically a weed compared to black birch. Yellow birch is a close second to black birch and some folks rate them about equal. I've made some dandy furniture using yellow birch. That stuff is also strong as an ox, but scarce as hens teeth in thse parts.

We have some yellow in these parts but not as much as black. While yellow is certainly good stuff, the black is definitely a cut above. Black birch is pretty much an Appalachian range tree, it's most numerous in the PA,NY,CT,MA area but gets the best growth in the southern states. It grows at lower elevations in the NE, usually needs 2000 ft in the south.

Another good thing about it, pretty easy on chains compared to the other BTU kings here like locust and hickory. Black birch also doesn't have the rotting issues from the bark, no need to score it.

apple for me. my house was built in an old orchard. the trees are dying and i burn it to get it cleaned up. smells good too.

Back