And the next logical selection...lowering device

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you use to control the lowering of limbs/logs?

• Wraps on tree and gorilla grip on rope

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Lightweight device like Figure eight, Munter hitch or rack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Medium weight device like Friction-On-Site, PortaWrap

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • Heavy weight ratcheting device like Good Rigging Control System or Hobb's Lowering device

• Heavy weight non-ratcheting device like a bollard or Rope Brake

• Total voters
Rope brake for big stuff (w/ block & tackle to take a strain), port-a-wrap sometimes (groundman doesn't like it), figure 8 for light limbs and controlling swing( like when rigging one tree from another) and of course, a GRCS as soon as Sean announces Sherrill's half price sale :D

I have been using a combination of 2 ropes over the past year and a half and am really happy with them. I use the 1/2" rope with my port-a-wrap III for the brush. When it comes to taking out tops and wood I switch to the 5/8" stable braid w/ the port-a-wrap. The bad ground guys hate it, the good ones love it.

I like Samson ArborPlex climbing rope for all the lite stuff,the 12 strand rope is easier to work with I think,16strand gets kinda slim. Priced right also.Samson Stable Braid 9/16" and 5/8" for everything else.We like Port-A-Wrap here also.Various slings,steel biners and grounmen:)

Munter's(Italian) hitch on steel biner for lite stuff.
Potawrap II on medium stuff and now looking at larger lowering device .Also waiting for half price sale GRCS
Thanks mister Sherrill.............

Rob, put together a big order and call them up, they will give a very good bulk discount.

But then shipping would be another issue wouldnt it :D .

We have two pieces of pipe,about 6" in diameter-1/4" wall, welded to the back of the bucket truck.There are three 1"dia. steel rods that pass through the pipe spaced about an inch and a half apart.These rods keep the rope from climbing over itself.We also have one of these set-ups that is portable and can be attached to a tree.I also have one of the original Port-a-wraps and found it to be very handy,not to mention light weight.There is also a capstan winch on the back of the bucket.The winch system has it's own hydraulic system seperate from the Hi-Ranger's.The spool of wire rope can be disengaged and the capstan hub installed for lifting pieces.I don't use the winch much but it's there if we need it.
I've found false crotches to be a must with some of these new 16 strand lines,they'll melt running through natural crotches.
Keith

Back