And the power lines go "buzz buzz buzz"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Was fortunate enough to be granted permission to get some Black Birch from where the utility company (P P&L) had cleared away TONS of trees for power lines, and when I took my ear protectors off to load some wood up I heard this "zzzttt zzzztttt zzzttt" noise; and I was thinking "oh man, don't tell me that I've got a flat tire thats leaking", but it was the power lines "buzzing". That was kind of comical, but kind of freaky too-I'm just glad that I don't live around any!

Anyways, I got my share of Black Birch! :greenchainsaw:

Be careful when picking up wood around high tension lines.

The lines are known to give the squirrels and other wildlife living under them Leukemia and make them act rabid.

You've been warned !!

When you hear that...then touch something metal sometimes you get shocked! The high voltage lines can put off so much energy that they can energize conductive surfaces around (underneath) them.

You want to see something unreal...check out the linemen that work on the lines from a helicopter. They have to energize themselves before walking out onto them! Guys are nuts.

I lived in a trailer on a power line one time and they always buzzed. wait till it storms and lightening is hitting around. you can see sparks dancing down the lines. Every now and then it will do it without a storm. Wild looking. This line must have had a bad spot in it, Sometimes i would see birds land in this one area and they would fry like bacon in a microwave. could actually hear them sizzle.

You observed an electromagnetic field!

If you hold a fluorescent tube bulb up near a high voltage transformer station you can make it dimly light up just from the electromagnetic field. Just dont hold it too close!

We have a powerline on our hunting lease and a couple of years ago one of our elder hunters was going to cut a huge oak off of it. He was going to drop the tree toward the line. Everyone was like uhhhh that thing might hit it. he said nah it will miss it a mile. I just knew it was a goner, tried to talk him out of it. He sawed and it sarting falling and everyone was scared to death. it couldn't have cleared the lines six inches. Man that was close. He said told ya it would miss. I told all the others when we go cut firewood and he cuts, I'm stayin in camp. I don't know what the penalty for knocking a powerline down but i don't want to be around.

Oh yeah...there are other kinds of wood there, but when I saw that Black "Cherry" Birch I said to myself "that's what I want" and got 38 rounds of it loaded into my Bronco, so I am happy! That'll be for Winter 2011.

At 26+ million BTU per cord, black birch is all that and a bag of chips. Wish we had some around here. :clap:

At 26+ million BTU per cord, black birch is all that and a bag of chips. Wish we had some around here. :clap:

I like it for kindling, quarter-splits and main fuelwood; it ignites easily, throws good heat and burns with a nice lively flame. And that smell is OUTSTANDING-said to my wife last night "it reminds me of candy, even the rounds look like big pieces of candy to me". Guess I'm really nuts, lol...maybe it was being around those powerlines!! :greenchainsaw:

I don't know what the penalty for knocking a powerline down but i don't want to be around.

No, you wouldn't.

I don't *think* they billed the guy who did it in my town. No insurance, and not much income.

Besides, I'm pretty sure they didn't want any publicity with the state regulators as to why their Right of Way clearing program was so effective it allowed twenty feet of tree top be past the high tension line it was resting on. That's the type of stuff that would devastating in a hurricane or potentially even an ice storm around here.

They do bill for auto accidents that take out poles and homeowners who drop trees on wires...but those you're just talking hundreds of dollars or maybe a few thousand.

When you hear that...then touch something metal sometimes you get shocked! The high voltage lines can put off so much energy that they can energize conductive surfaces around (underneath) them.

You want to see something unreal...check out the linemen that work on the lines from a helicopter. They have to energize themselves before walking out onto them! Guys are nuts.

Thats a weid feeling too. I was hunting one night and walked under one of the big power transmission lines from the local power producer. I had my gun throwed over my shoulder and i couldnt figure out that funny feeling was for nothing. I finally put 2 and 2 together and figured it out. It is like a small shock.:dizzy:

Thats a weid feeling too. I was hunting one night and walked under one of the big power transmission lines from the local power producer. I had my gun throwed over my shoulder and i couldnt figure out that funny feeling was for nothing. I finally put 2 and 2 together and figured it out. It is like a small shock.:dizzy:

Around here hunting at night will get you throwed in jail

I happen to have a lot of first hand experience with power lines.
I have knocked several down.
I have "turtle-ized" down inside the bucket (Tree company bucket truck) when someone else made the hot line and the neutral lines touch- which sends a BIG FREAKIN BALL of lightning down the lines to "blow off" whatever is causing the short...
You wanna talk about SHEETING your pants!!??

I have also been "hit" by 7,200 volts of primary, in one hand, down the arm, across the shoulders, up the other arm, out the other hand....

Let me inform you all right here, right now: You do not want to try this yourself. I sat in the doctor's office for 3 hours hooked to a heart monitor.
Turns out that a shock like that can stop your heart......up to 3 DAYS after the fact...
It also turns out that an electrical burn isn't "you get a burn and that's it"...
No....electrical burns CONTINUE to burn for DAYS after the hit....they actually GET WORSE OVER TIME......FROM THE INSIDE OUT!!

This is all 100% true, as driven into my head by Central Maine Power Company's safety supervisors....and real world experience..My shoulders hurt like hell for 4 days...it was the burn INSIDE the muscles..I got super lucky....whilst being super absent minded around power lines.

Be careful...no line is safe to touch, none. DO NOT touch poles, or guy wires.
They can be "hot" if a branch is touching the hot line and the neutral 2 miles away...

you want an adrenaline rush, Sit on a treestand at the edge of a powerline and have one of these monsters come your way. They don't stop either. You get out of the way or die. They attack on ground and in the air.

21a.jpg

crazy-tree-trimmer.jpg

Cutter_flying_(19).jpg

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oceC9DzDLlE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oceC9DzDLlE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Back