And the power lines go "buzz buzz buzz"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JESUS! That thing looks evil!

One time I lost control of a 14' pole pruner while "climbing" a right of way powerline, a 12,000 volt 3 phase line coming off a hydro dam....
It was headed right for the two closest phases...I let go, and it bounced off the closest phase and fell to the ground..I let go about 1 second before it hit..woulda killed me for sure...
When you get as close as I was to the 12K 3 phase (about 10 feet), every hair on your body stands straight out towards them...and the lines hum very loudly...

JESUS! That thing looks evil!

One time I lost control of a 14' pole pruner while "climbing" a right of way powerline, a 12,000 volt 3 phase line coming off a hydro dam....
It was headed right for the two closest phases...I let go, and it bounced off the closest phase and fell to the ground..I let go about 1 second before it hit..woulda killed me for sure...
When you get as close as I was to the 12K 3 phase (about 10 feet), every hair on your body stands straight out towards them...and the lines hum very loudly...
They look evil coming at ya.lol Almost crapped myself first time i watched one come at me. The one i seen had a diesel motor on top of the blades, It was loud. Quickly figured out he wasn't gonna stop or go around me. Fastest i ever came down off a stand.lol

We have a powerline on our hunting lease and a couple of years ago one of our elder hunters was going to cut a huge oak off of it. I don't know what the penalty for knocking a powerline down but i don't want to be around.

I'm going to guess that it would be the death penalty. ...And not from the circuit court judge either (more like the circuit IS the judge :biggrinbounce2:) A couple hundred thousand volts will tend to do that to you. Article in the local paper was talking about the state high tension powerline expansion program. The 2 voltages they noted were 215,000V and 345,000V. That's gonna leave a mark....

Only 12,000V? The little transformer in front of my house is 19,200V.... I'd bet either one will ruin ones day...

-Dave

I got to watch a helicopter trimmer do the trees here and around the lake. Just totally awesome. 10 blades wide open.

I have the best power line story ever! It happened a long time ago I think I was 12 or 13 years old. A friend and I were fishing on the River back then there was no bait ban so we were using worms with just a wight and hook. The best hole on the river was right under a power line but you have to cast a bit further and let it bounce to the hole. So I made a long cast and went over top the power lines about 5/6 lines the top two lines are very close together.
I am like Sh** oh well I will break it off, tighten up the drag and turn my back and start walking we both had waders on, I say to my Friend wouldn't it be funny if I pulled down the poles. I have 10 lb test on so I start pulling have my back turned to it my friend is watching and feeling his rod top so he is looking in that direction. Next thing I here is bang Zap!!! and can see the flash Buddy say's it looked like lighting! then you could hear the other lures and wights that have been hung up for years fall into the water.
I pulled the top two lines together and bang zap about 20 min later a City electric truck pulled up and we left. Sorry to all those in N.W Calgary bout 27 years ago I didn't mean it.

Back