Andy's Christmas 460 build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its all done and ready to go back to it owner.
I'm real pleased with the way this saw came out even if it is a stihl :heart:.
here it is stock ignition timing, flat top piston. New ring (I messed one up polishing it) its blowing rite at 190 .
Merry Christmas Andy I hope you enjoy it . Let us know how you like it. (also let me know how you want it shipped back)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/ECsaws?feature=mhee[/video]

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FMMQrCP0iHc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks a litte suggish....lol Nice work!

is'nt that the same video from 1st page ??
the snow flakes, paper blowing ect. all look the same ??
or am i goofy ??

LOL yes it is no clue how that happened:msp_confused::msp_confused:
here is the stock vid...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AILYkQLf9sU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Averaged times I got:

Stock -- 2:75

Ported -- 1:64

That's 40%. . . Can't beat that with a stick. :)

Good job Eric!

Did you run a good chain to see what it would really cut? Looks like it runs really good. I timed about 1.7 in that 8x8. I'd like to see it run in a fresh one with a good chain.

What did you do with the muffler?

No I didn't Frank but I would say easy 1.1? in a good block (not this one its a year old and hard) Id say it would pull a 9 pin OK.....
Just put a defector in the muffler with fire screens of course.
Or a solo 681 :msp_thumbup:, didn't you build a 681 for Jay?

Haven't yet but I have his saw here.

Averaged times I got:

Stock -- 2:75

Ported -- 1:64

That's 40%. . . Can't beat that with a stick. :)

Good job Eric!

Thanks.... Like I said real happy with this saw she pulls like a diesel.
there is always more to get but for a work saw this is about all I wanna do and still keep it reliable.

Wow. Great gift ! Merry Christmas to you.

What RPMs that turning ? I hope the owner will post vid of it in some big wood when he gets it back.

Wow. Great gift ! Merry Christmas to you.

What RPMs that turning ? I hope the owner will post vid of it in some big wood when he gets it back.

14500+-100...
I hope he dose to when you can push like I was it will cut big wood just fine.

As some of you know I threw a free woodsport in the Christmas giving thread.
Andy (andydodgegeek) was the first to jump, anyho he sent me a real nice MS 460 to tune up.
Got a "Little bit" done on this afternoon.
I dont use popup pistons.
stock jug.
after combustion chamber is adjusted I ended up with 5.5 cc chamber.
chamber and base cut squish set to .023. hope to end up around 180-190 psi stock was 155.
Andy460.jpg

More tomarrow hopefully ... Ya I know I'm slow.:dizzy:

Looks real clean Eric ! Nice to see you sharing pics of your work ! How much did you end up taking out of the squish area? How was the plating up to the squish , did it go right up ?

Steve

Looks real clean Eric ! Nice to see you sharing pics of your work ! How much did you end up taking out of the squish area? How was the plating up to the squish , did it go right up ?

Steve

Hi Steve how ya been ? nice to see ya around...
Yes this was a OEM cly plating and honed all the way to the top. I took .030 out of this one... couldn't have took more if I wanted Those Stihl piston are just to damn short LOL....

Hi Steve how ya been ? nice to see ya around...
Yes this was a OEM cly plating and honed all the way to the top. I took .030 out of this one... couldn't have took more if I wanted Those Stihl piston are just to damn short LOL....

Thanks Eric, been ok. Having a good cyl. to work with makes a big difference , unlike some where you have to "#####foot" around the top edge of the plating(or lack thereof). Is there a piston you could have substituted if you had wanted to ? Do you have many other builds on your plate ?

Steve

Thanks Eric, been ok. Having a good cyl. to work with makes a big difference , unlike some where you have to "#####foot" around the top edge of the plating(or lack thereof). Is there a piston you could have substituted if you had wanted to ? Do you have many other builds on your plate ?

Steve

The 064 piston is longer, but in a worksaw I've not felt the need to use one.

Real nice work Eric! :msp_thumbsup:

Eric,
I have a 460 that wouldn't start after seeming perfectly fine. The Dealer said it was junk. I asked him what the problem was and he said the piston and cyl, he could see it when he took off the muffler, probably from running too lean.
I'm no 2 stroke mechanic but figure I'll fix it myself. Time to learn. What's the difference between popup pistons and stock or meteor. It seems the build you're doing is to make the saw breath better. What other parts should be replaced in a used older saw? I'm kind of lost on exactly what to do to repair and run this saw every day, a little more power would be helpful but durability is a must. Would you rebuild a saw with this mod?
Rick

Latest posts

Back