Anger management

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah a little pissed. The guy that owns the property supplies my supply and let's me store a few years worth of wood out there. He also sells a little wood. In the spring we blew a tire on his tractor that we use to pull the logs out. All this wood is for him.

speed run

I've done some speed runs before using multiple splitting blocks and loading them in advance...but I've wanted to try it with a fast loader helper so I could keep going. GF here ain't got the grunt nor the speed to do that, and all the dogs claim they can't help cuz they gotz no thumbs...

Seems like you can get in the groove and stopping to unload and reload you lose it a little. Like to push it something like the pace on a two mile run, not a flat out burn up all the oxygen and go into depletion rate sprint, but high steady and very rhythmic RPMs, or WPMs, whacks per minute. My timed record is fifteen good burnable splits from a big oak round in 40 seconds. And I had to pick up some chunks and reload for the last splits, too, that slowed me down a lot. That particular round wouldn't fit in the tire I usually use on the block. It was a clean round though, about as perfect as good hardwood can get.

Anyway, looks like you had big fun! There ain't nuthin out there, to me, quite as satisfying, I just love splitting!

I take it you split them all on the ground, or just the last few? Although doing it in anger...you waste some calories just being mad. Ya, you get adrenalin, a speed boost, but you pay for it.

A morning session

Weather permitting I like to start my day with a short session (6-8 rounds) off my pile of 'to be split stuff' Got around 6 cords of that to work through. Gets the blood moving well.

Fiskars rule!!

Harry K

Dang now you got me thinking about it. Usually I do it at night/evening, but looking at the pile of big rounds I have accumulating, might have to add a breakfast session as well. I still want to concentrate on getting the rounds up here first though, shooting for mass quantities before mud hits. I want some years in advance, i gotz to be about covered for two years now, so am working on year three. Got the trees marked already, at least that is done (bah, proly sixty trees marked). Trying to do proper woodlot management, cull trees, crooked, standing dead and wounded, etc, along with my normal cleanup routine.

Something odd this year though, don't know what to make of it..no pecans (yard) and no black walnuts (down to the creek). There's still hickory nuts and acorns for the woods critters, but I know them squirrels were counting on this one huge walnut tree that usually has the ground ankle deep in the things. And the flying squirrels here needed those pecans. Don't know what happened.

Latest posts

Back