Angry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
save your pennies and buy a real crane one day then you'll blow those guys out of the water. around here we just smack the average stick crane guys around on price. on removals we have at least an 80-90% awarded rate usually 30% less than competitors and the word got out over the years. we haven't pruned but 2 trees this year and taken out over 1k.

That's not a good thing if you take them all down then what

That's not a good thing if you take them all down then what

They are removals for other companies a lot of times probably 30%. We don't have to do anything else to have work 365.

Let's just say you where down the road from me and had a big removal to do that required a crane and was gonna take you 3-4 days. And we could do it in a day. With a crane the kboom 20 inch chippers you get the idea. You would subcontract it to us instead of all the pain of renting a crane and man handling it out yourself. I charge 3k a day for a big crew with all the toys. So let's say that's a 6k removal for you you made 3k just for bidding it and we are in and out.

At least 10 companies within 30 miles use us for crane removal because even if they wanna pick it themselves they can hire our cranes per hour.

Davey hires us a pretty good bit. Even got paid to do one at the local office managers house because his own crews wouldn't touch it.

Saves me a lot of time in bidding. Some people have caught on tho and go to us the wholesaler. A climber from us is around 800.00 a day and companies are banging off the hook for my guys to climb for the bucket queens.

My kid wanted a Barbie jeep so I went out and climbed for a local guy and got her the escalade 12v model.

We do a good bit of dangerous trees for AA every year, the old bugger pays.

There are a lot of ways to make money in this business especially off other tree guys.

Last edited:
save your pennies and buy a real crane one day then you'll blow those guys out of the water. around here we just smack the average stick crane guys around on price. on removals we have at least an 80-90% awarded rate usually 30% less than competitors and the word got out over the years. we haven't pruned but 2 trees this year and taken out over 1k.

I work for one of the only companys around that has it's own knuckle boom crane. Cranes don't seem as popular here as back east. That KB crane will fit in places other cranes can't. The operator using the remote control can always keep you and the load in sight. If you have your own crane, you find a 101 other uses for it. This guy has a huge cargo net. We often fill it full of wood to load it the truck. Saves backs from moving it all by hand from a yard. Some times will lift a chipper or big stump grinder and set it over a wall or fence. You wouldn't rent a crane for these tasks, but if you have one laying around anyway.
His KBoom is only 55ft maxed out. Many times I wish he had a bigger one. Their amazing.

I work for one of the only companys around that has it's own knuckle boom crane. Cranes don't seem as popular here as back east. That KB crane will fit in places other cranes can't. The operator using the remote control can always keep you and the load in sight. If you have your own crane, you find a 101 other uses for it. This guy has a huge cargo net. We often fill it full of wood to load it the truck. Saves backs from moving it all by hand from a yard. Some times will lift a chipper or big stump grinder and set it over a wall or fence. You wouldn't rent a crane for these tasks, but if you have one laying around anyway.
His KBoom is only 55ft maxed out. Many times I wish he had a bigger one. Their amazing.

I use the waste management bagsters they are only 30$ and hold around 3k.

I don't know how tall the bucket trucks go. For me there is lots of climbing where a truck can't go.

In the timber industry we suffered from the mechanical monster. The feller buncher and the processor. But as long as we can log big old timber on steep broken up ground a good man with a falling saw,a pouch full of wedges and an ax still has his place at the top of the food chain. In the timber. I would think the arborist with his rope and saddle and saw would be in residential tree care.

I've got over my hatred of bunchers and processors. They have their place. Same as bucket trucks.
Depends on the market.

Did this maple yesterday. No practical way to get a hook or a bucket on it. It was a nice climb. I double crotched my 200 foot line n there wasn't much rope on the ground. Had some neighbors on lawn chairs for this one.
a6895813-c0bd-716c.jpg
a6895813-c0f6-5aba.jpg
a6895813-c134-8c0f.jpg

Safety and production trump all chest beating ,anyday and anyway , I am gonna do it Like that where ever possible , if I could buy a robot to fly the bucket , I would sorry to ruin this mans man thread

Well you could mount a stick saw on it to cut from the ground but I dont know how you could put rigging lines and tie knots!

Have you ever tried that?
I was lowering a top down and got distracted by the homeowner. Dropped it onto some uncoated backyard wires and started it smoking. Does that count? 2000 volts I was told. Ground guy said "someone must be smoking marijuana." I said, crap, the top's smoking. Cranked it up with a GRCS. Very exciting.
Phil

I was lowering a top down and got distracted by the homeowner. Dropped it onto some uncoated backyard wires and started it smoking. Does that count? 2000 volts I was told. Ground guy said "someone must be smoking marijuana." I said, crap, the top's smoking. Cranked it up with a GRCS. Very exciting.
Phil

That counts!:clap::msp_w00t::dizzy:

300- or 400 yes sir. around 1500.00 worth but not all at once. try getting a pile of stumps the size of a football field burning. we have to get a permit to do it. that 1500.00 in fuel is way way way cheaper than hauling them out. hauling them out would be 10k or more in cost. the land owner usually gets us a permit and the go ahead to lite them up. usually burns for like 30 days.

If you have any pics or videos of this please put them up (or a link to them). This sounds interesting.

If you have any pics or videos of this please put them up (or a link to them). This sounds interesting.

When we do clearing for the pitt international airport they dig probably a 30foot deep hole in the ground and pump natural gas pipes into it. its like an incinerator, dozer operator just pushes everything in the hole. I'm sure i have some pictures somewhere but they are probably all over the internet of guys doing it. every land clearing company we see around here burns 100's of junk trees and stumps on the site. its not to hard to obtain a permit for this where we live. its illegal as hell but a lot of guys usually put about 100 car tires under the pile to help it get going. lighting up a pile of stumps is a pain in the ass. very hard to get going we usually have like 10 leaf blowers going trying to blow enough air in there to get the fire hot enough to be able to sustain burn on its own without fuel.

Last edited:
Back