Angry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now don't go stirring up old grudges! Jeff & I are on the same page on this one.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Certified means that at some point in time, you could pass somebody's written test. Qualified means that you know what you are doing.

Last edited:
Curious if "qualified" means you passed somebody's written / practical test to earn the qualification? And what has to be done to maintain that qualification - ie. achieving a set amount of CEU's in a given time frame? Periodic practical re-tests? It must be confusing, (mebbe even to the point of being meaningless) to Joe Public when monikers like "arborist", "certified arborist", "certified tree worker", "ISA certified arborist", "line clearance qualified" are advertised. Someone whose ISA CA certification expires could certainly advertise themselves as a "Qualified Arborist" or a "Certified Arborist" with zero adverse financial impact. (Depending on business location). That's the way it is up here, so I see very little incentive for tree companies to spend time and money on employees getting and maintaining proffesional credentials.

No need to be angry.

Climbing takes a skill set that bucket work does not. All climbers (competent), can figure out how to work out of a bucket; not all bucket operators could ever be able to climb.

A climber given a bucket is going to do far less damage than a bucket baby will ever do.

I would never think about going back to tree work full time (at 42), but with a bucket and a mini-skidd, I can go another 10-15 years. They don't grow much more than 100ft. in the midwest, so having to climb 25ft and dealing with 12-14 in. wood (aloft) is a God send.

I have more respect than I could express for the guys in the NW, but I'm glad I'm where I'm at. All I want to do is complete the job at hand, go home at night, and not feel like I got in a car wreck in the morning.

Curious if "qualified" means you passed somebody's written / practical test to earn the qualification? And what has to be done to maintain that qualification - ie. achieving a set amount of CEU's in a given time frame? Periodic practical re-tests? It must be confusing, (mebbe even to the point of being meaningless) to Joe Public when monikers like "arborist", "certified arborist", "certified tree worker", "ISA certified arborist", "line clearance qualified" are advertised. Someone whose ISA CA certification expires could certainly advertise themselves as a "Qualified Arborist" or a "Certified Arborist" with zero adverse financial impact. (Depending on business location). That's the way it is up here, so I see very little incentive for tree companies to spend time and money on employees getting and maintaining proffesional credentials.

I suspect the answer to those questions is entirely dependent upon whom you ask.

All the ISA certifications mean that you could pass a written test. For Joe Public, that should be good enough to trust the certification to do the job. For those of us that really know what we are doing, the ISA certification really doesn't mean jack s... For those arborists who consider themselves qualified, that is just an opinion that they can advertise or not. Myself...I am both certified and qualified for general tree maintenance. I was qualified (in my own, not so humble opinion) long before I obtained the certification.

When it comes to line clearance, that is an entirely different matter. Qualified means that you have had all the necessary training and experience to be thoroughly competent. I think OSHA has some rather particular definitions for "qualified", but I don't know those rules. Since I am NOT qualified for any sort of line clearance, I'll have to defer further comment to those folks that read this thread. Jeff L, I believe, and many others here at AS can tell you more.

I am not certain, but I believe that an ISA BCMA certification certainly requires respect from anybody in the business. There are many other agencies in the US and worldwide that have their own certifications. Some of these, I am sure, are quite comprehensive, while other will be not quite so good.

... That's the way it is up here, so I see very little incentive for tree companies to spend time and money on employees getting and maintaining proffesional credentials.

Yep. I'm not much different in that respect, either. My current ISA membership is currently lapsed. They want too much money, and I just don't have that kind of cash to throw around.

I'm still certified for quite a while yet...

All I want to do is complete the job at hand, go home at night, and not feel like I got in a car wreck in the morning.

I have tried and tried, and still haven't expressed myself that clearly and concisely.

I would love to steal THAT quote and perhaps make it my sig........

Yup, it's true, I am a whiny little beoch when I get all torn up these days in the mundane pursuit of a dollar. Not worth it on so many levels.

Latest posts

Back