Another 100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reaperman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What a way to start the new year. I woke up this morning to a balmy -21F outside temp. Inside it was 79 degrees. That's exactly a 100 degree difference in temperature. Of course, its not a first this happens pretty much every time it dips into the -20's during the winter. Then I look outside and what do I see? My saint bernard, not in his dog house, but rather, laying proudly in the snow enjoying a beautiful morning. Happy new year wishes to all, reaperman.

It must certainly feel good to know that you are in control of your house heating, and not some utility!
Enjoy the day.
77 degrees F. at my desk, my wife is making soup, about +22 degrees F. outside, light snow, a mild winter so far.

Ok, heres a stupid question for you mid Westerns. Has anyone lived on the east coast? I see in the summer the temps hit 100+ out there. Here at 90 I'm dieing, to hot and sticky to do anything. Now in winter it's 26 below 0 there. Rarely does it get to 0 here, a few times a year only. Cold as hell. I like the colder temps, but can't imagine those. Doe's it really feel that cold compared to here in NH. Or is it like Arizona's 110 deg heat = our 80 deg, but in the opposite.

That is funny, every time I check the temp in and out I have to calculate to difference too! I hit the 100 mark everytime it gets really cold!

Humidity does have a considerable impact on how the actual temperature 'feels.' I'd rather have 100 degrees of dry heat than 90 degrees with high humidity.

Same with the cold for me, I feel better when it is 10deg and dry vs. 30deg and damp. Seems like the humidity gets to your core. Not to change the subject and somewhat related... I pulled the humidifier out of moth balls and started raising the humidity level in the house I think it feels warmer with humidity levels being maintained 35-40. I invested a bunch of jing in a remodel project several years ago with wood flooring and new cherry cabinets also hope this will protect them as well.

View attachment 270857View attachment 270858View attachment 270859

Ok, heres a stupid question for you mid Westerns. Has anyone lived on the east coast? I see in the summer the temps hit 100+ out there. Here at 90 I'm dieing, to hot and sticky to do anything. Now in winter it's 26 below 0 there. Rarely does it get to 0 here, a few times a year only. Cold as hell. I like the colder temps, but can't imagine those. Doe's it really feel that cold compared to here in NH. Or is it like Arizona's 110 deg heat = our 80 deg, but in the opposite.

During the really hot and humid spells, you can actually see and feel the air when you walk outside. Although you become somewhat accustomed to it, it's still uncomfortable.
We rarely get below 0 degrees for long preiods, so that's not so bad, just put another log on the fire.
I lived in NY city when I was younger, don't have any desire to ever go back. The rest of the East coast is another story, beautiful country and really good people.

Honestly, I think anyone who lives in the cold and has contact with -20's or colder temps will say if there is no wind, the temp really doenst feel as bad as it sounds. But add a 5 or 10 mph wind to the equation and it feels twice as cold. I've always thought the coldest temperature is around 35f when its raining.

to the temperature question.

Its relative. In 2010, I spent June (all month) in Dubai. working in the shop along side the locals. Your body learns to adjust to the temperatures. I come back to Oklahoma and it took me a couple weeks to decide the 110 we were seeing was hot. In dubai, its all about staying covered up and out of the sun and reflected heat. the humidity there drops to 30% or so in mid day, but being on the gulf, next to a desert, the land heats up, and draws the humidity off the sea over the land.
Your body needs a couple weeks to get used to a temperature. If its hot or cold, adjust the temperature where you spend most of your time to more closely match that. Every few days, adjust it a bit closer.

Say this with your best midwestern accent - think the movie Fargo, that's a bit over the top, but close enough: "Yah, but it's a dry cold, don'tcha know".

Thinking on it a little, I've seen 170 degrees difference in my life, from 130 in the Saudi desert to -40 on Lake of the Woods. I prefer the latter. The guys above are right, 30 with wind and rain is a heck of a lot colder than -20 with the sun shining and no wind. People in warmer places lose their mind when it gets good and cold for a little bit, we tend to celebrate it. Up in northern MN, there's always a huge battle between the small towns of Tower and Embarrass to see which one records the lowest temperature.

Say this with your best midwestern accent - think the movie Fargo, that's a bit over the top, but close enough: "Yah, but it's a dry cold, don'tcha know".

Thinking on it a little, I've seen 170 degrees difference in my life, from 130 in the Saudi desert to -40 on Lake of the Woods. I prefer the latter. The guys above are right, 30 with wind and rain is a heck of a lot colder than -20 with the sun shining and no wind. People in warmer places lose their mind when it gets good and cold for a little bit, we tend to celebrate it. Up in northern MN, there's always a huge battle between the small towns of Tower and Embarrass to see which one records the lowest temperature.

I'll go with Tower... :msp_smile:

I'll go with Tower... :msp_smile:

Homer! :hmm3grin2orange: Embarrass sounds funnier on TV.

Heck of a good place to be from if you were to be selling wood stoves or such...Just sayin!

Edit: Your website should have one of those little current weather conditions boxes.

Last edited:

I grew up in south Chicago, lived in Princeton, NJ and settled in Santa Cruz, CA. This is my take on the tree areas of our country.

Chicago in the summers hot and humid band bone dry and cold in the winter. I remember what 100 and humid feels like in the summer. It would be so hot you couldn't do anything outside. Misery. A phrase we used to use was you had to ate a shower to dry out. It could be below 0 and bone dry in the winter. I remember friends getting nose bleeds from the dry air ruin indoor track practice in high school during the winter.

When I moved to New Jersey it was hot and humid during the summer but cold and damp in the winter. The temperature was higher but it felt colder because of the humidity. To me it felt like a step up weather wise because the temperature extremes weren't as big.

Later I moved to San Jose, CA. Summers were warm and dry. Winter tips never got lower than 40 it seemed and it was sunny and pleasant between rain storms. I was only there two years before I moved over the montain to the coast. San Jose was too crowded, too urban, too expensive, too much.

Santa Cruz has in my opinion perfect weather. Summer temps never get above 90 and people complain of the heat when it is in the 80s. It is bone dry all summer. I can't remember the last time I was bit by a mosquito. Winters see a lot of rain and cool temperatures. It will get into the high 30s but generally we are in the 40 - 60 range. Today it is sunny and 55 or 60 outside. I hear people complain about the rain here. I tell them it could be worse - you don't have to shovel rain.

Man I just got the thought of summer out of mind! We always joke that we can't wait for summer and then when comes we are ready for winter. I will say this that there is nothing like stepping out of the house at6am in the middle of August here in VA and sweating before you even make it to the truck you know it's going to be hot. That being said I keep the house regulated I like it comfortable little cold little warm if my wife had her way the house would be like summer all winter long.

Homer! :hmm3grin2orange: Embarrass sounds funnier on TV.

Heck of a good place to be from if you were to be selling wood stoves or such...Just sayin!

Edit: Your website should have one of those little current weather conditions boxes.

Good idea and I just added one. Had trouble trying to get a much better one loaded so this will have to do for now. Thanks...

Kuuma "Smokeless" Vapor-Fire High Efficiency Wood Gasification Furnaces & Fantasic Sauna Stoves by Lamppa Manufacturing Inc.

Ok, heres a stupid question for you mid Westerns…
dan,
If you live in the Midwest, and travel the Midwest, you quickly learn we have mini-climates every 100-200 miles or so… and all of them can produce miserable weather. There’s a big difference between extreme western Iowa and extreme eastern Iowa, between north and south Iowa. I live on the eastern edge of the flat, open plain just south of the Minnesota boarder… travel just a few miles east or north and there’s a lot more rolling, hilly land.

Where I live we get the winter NW wind that drops out of Canada, through the Dakotas and swings east across Iowa… and it almost never seems to stop blowing. It gets cold here, but not cold like northern Minnesota, we see -20, even -30, but in the teens below zero is more the norm. When that cold Canadian wind is howling out of the NW at 20-40 MPH it makes anything below freezing feel damn cold. On those rare below zero days when the air is calm and the sun is shinning, I can be outside all day… even work with my gloves off for a surprisingly long time (if may hands are dry).

Summers here rarely go over 100[sup]o[/sup], but it does happen. We see a lot of 90’s… and seems like the only friggin’ time the winds stop around here is when the mercury climbs above 90! The humidity is so thick you can see it in the air, and we’ll have days when the dew in the grass never evaporates… absolutely miserable. Just walking out to the mailbox will cause you to become drenched with sweat.

But then I need to drive out to Nebraska (for work) in July, it’s 112[sup]o[/sup], that SW wind is blasting across Kansas picking up fine particles of dirt… it hits you like a blast furnace and sand blaster all at the same time. Or maybe I need to go to South Dakota in January, where that Canadian wind hasn’t been tempered by temperature yet. Or maybe southern Iowa, Missouri, or Illinois in Auguest… more heat, more humidity, no wind… even the rain feels hot. I’ve been in northern Minnesota during winter… cold, damn cold for days on end… not near as much wind up in those trees, but the snow can get so deep the roads are more like tunnels. Minnesota roads are notorious for “black ice”… and until your truck has slid sideways down a road for several hundred feet with out losing any speed (I do mean no speed at all) you’ll never understand what that’s all about.

Really, if I travel 100 miles in any direction, the “mini-climate” and prevailing winds change… and change noticeably.

Oh, I almost forgot... It's -1[sup]o[/sup] here this morning, and surprisingly the wind has switched over night to a rare south 8 MPH breeze. Almost never get a south wind this time of year; so it will warm up nicely today, maybe even above freezing... and then probably snow!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back