Another 13" of snow last night, what the ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reaperman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The last two Thursday's dumped a total of 2' of snow here. If I didnt know any better someone would think I live in the mountains, not in central Mn. Last thurs, we got 10" and last night 13. Its almost May, and no I dont have my wood pile (5-6 cords) split. I cant even get to it since its in the woods yet. Better yet, the Minn fishing opener is May 11th, 22 days away and most lakes are still ice covered and the larger lakes have over 2' of ice. Not to exclude the poor turkey hunters who took afield on wednesday, having to trudge thru 1.5' of existing snow, and now 2.5 feet of snow. I guess were paying for the early spring last year.

No snow here. It was 85 yesterday. This morning it was 72. Right now it's 49 lol. Supposed to get down to low 30's tonight.

Weirdest spring in quite awhile.

I grew up in Michigan so I'm used to having snow into April, but this up and down stuff is nuts.

I feel for those of you who are still getting dumped on. That really sucks.

It wasn’t that long ago I was bored with the early spring so received another load of logs to cut and split until I could get back in to the woods. I bucked and split the 4 cords and stacked it on the other side of the OWB for the next heating season. I never would have thought I’d be checking out this wood for now. If the weather doesn’t change soon, I’ll be taking from this pile soon. Like you, we received more snow that expected so we have something like 8 to 10 cords of well seasoned wood in back. Talking higher temps over the weekend so with a little bit of luck, most of this snow will be gone by then.

It wasn’t that long ago when I wrote that the wood prices will be much higher toward spring. Looks like it might be true after all; if people can’t get to their wood piles, then they’ll be buying it from someone… The way I see it, we still have it much better then the other members around us.. Once this snow melts, the water goes down hill.. Not good for someone... Keep Warm and Relax a bit, this nasty weather will be over with soon..

Please do not remind me of water as it is I feel like I am living in Waterwold ( not theme park, was an older movie)
Up North you got 23" snow, down here we got 3.5" rain, frost is not out of ground yet here. Can't wait to see what will happen when it finally melts up north and starts its journey to here. Most everything has already run over its banks more than once.

The last two Thursday's dumped a total of 2' of snow here.
…most lakes are still ice covered and the larger lakes have over 2' of ice.
Thanks for taking one for the team. Please keep it there.

Yeah… thanks… and yeah… you can keep it there!

We’ve lucked-out, those last two Thursday snows have tracked west and north of us (just a dusting last night)… but we sure are getting our share of cold, wind and rain. We’ve gone from unseasonably cold to unseasonably cold and wet. We need the moisture, but for it to do the most good we need the warm weather also. I just checked the Climate Prediction Center and it appears we’re gonna’ stay cold and wet at least through the first couple weeks of May… making this one of the longest winters/latest springs on record for this area.

Dad’s been wanting to get up to the lake home in Minnesota (somewhat north of Brainard)… but the locals keep callin’ and tellin’ him he wouldn’t even be able get to it with several feet of ice and snow still in the lane.

I’ve burned way more firewood than I ever expected… way more, and, except for a day or two a couple weeks ago, the fire is still burning 24/7. This is gonna’ make for a really short summer his year.

We've had 7 inches of rain in the past week, its light snow flurries now, and there's a chance of rain almost every day though next week.

6 to 10 inches of rain in the last 10 days here in the flat lands. Nice to see the rivers rise and such but I bet the farmers are starting to worry about the wetness/cold ground.

Brian

Well it's flooding here in northwestern Illinois! 10 inches plus of rain since the 8th of April.

I just tossed a few logs in to the OWB.. Darn thing was full of red hot coals but not enough to keep the temps up. One daay it's warm and the next day it's cold. Don't even know how to load the stove anymore. I have something like 3 and 4 ft drifts over there and my road is blocked in spots. Tried to push it with the 800 and the darn snow just pushes forward in one huge pile. Must be 2 inches of water under that stuff.

Spidy, Tell your Dad that he's not going to the lake for a while yet. The wife was on her way home from work late yesterday and some truck with a big boat was down in the ditch. Ice-Out might be a little late this year. They were sill driving out on the lakes with trucks a few days ago. :msp_wink:

I thought we'd be going up and take down some of them Ash Trees in the swamp before the ground turned to mud but Mother Nature has other ideas for me..

Ice auger isn't put away yet, 15 days til WI opener, hoping for some open on the lake. My buddy with the fancy boat says he doesn't care, he's taking the boat and if the lake is still froze, he'll sit in it in the resort parking lot drinking beer.

Latest posts

Back