Another $20 CL 5 Cube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"E" is electronic ignition. Early models were a two piece ignition system that was somewhat unreliable. Credit McCulloch for some forward thinking as the mount for the trigger unit would later be the mount for the one piece electronic ignition modules that were continued for over 20 years.

Early two piece electronic ignition trigger

DSC01962.JPG

Coil was mounted on the bottom of the saw

DSC01972.JPG

Later one piece electronic coil/ignition module bolt in place, timing is correct

DSC01959.JPG

McBob reported that all of the 81E saws in Australia were recalled and refit with the later one piece ignition modules.

Mark

Interesting stuff Mark. I dont remember off hand that Mac used that 2 piece Phelon ign and surprised that it was deemed unreliable.

Maybe McCulloch specked there version different but that same basic Phelon 2 piece ign was used by lots of other manufacturers, Homelight, pioneer, and Poulan come to mind off hand.

The one piece they went to looks like the ones that did have issues from what I remember. Maybe its not the same though.

I can tell you that the one piece unit has a much brighter spark, and seems to have a few degrees advance built in as well as the engines speeds up. So far my SP81E will start and run just fine with the two piece set up so I leave it as it came from the factory.

Mark

Another $20, another 5 cube legend found a new home. Said he bought the new bar a few years ago, but realized his chain wouldn't fit. Has spark and 145lbs of compression. Going to do a carb kit, fuel lines, vac and pressure test before going any further.View attachment 609500View attachment 609501

This really should be posted over in the "You Suck" thread - nice find for $20!

Latest posts

Back