Another 361 Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
361 Test report

Here it is; 361 test report.

Be aware that the test objects are German made saws for the European market. Cylinder, piston and muffler have different part numbers in the US version.

If you want to see other KWF/DLG test reports, there are links to the sites in post 42 here.

Last edited:
DLG vs KWF

I forgot to mention that the KWF site is the most updated one, while the DLG site contain more of the older test reports from the late 1990s.

Sad that no other than mainly STIHL-DOLMAR-HUSQ_JONS are tested there. No Echo-Shindaiwa-Efco(only one yes), etc.:(

pinus said:
Sad that no other than mainly STIHL-DOLMAR-HUSQ_JONS are tested there. No Echo-Shindaiwa-Efco(only one yes), etc.:(
It is even more suspicious the the German brand Solo doesn't submit their saws to this testing, as I understand DLG and KWF approval really means something for marketing, at least in parts of Europe.
As I understand it, it is up to the manufacturers to commit, and pay DLG and KWF for testing their saws (and other products - saw testing is only a small part of this test regime),....

Lakeside53 said:
Did you richen up the carb after you modded the muffler? 15k is above my comfort zone. I keep mine about 13k wot (+/-500rpm), and it doesn't seem to affect the cut performance materially.

Slightly. After the saw was broken in and the muffler modded, my dealer and I tuned it out to around 14,800 RPM. She really screams. :) Stihl states that after break-in they can be run at 14,000 with no ill effects.

Eric,

Regarding muffler mods for the 361:

1. Can you give me a step-by-step on how to remove the muffler? I have a 361 and could not see any other bolts holding the muffler on, except the one in the front.

2. Once the muffler is off, what exactly have you done to it to open it up? Do you have pictures?

Greg

There are two small covers in the front of the muffler. If you have an earlier type, these are solid and can be a PITA to get off. The later type is a three pronged star that's easy to get off and replace. Just buy new covers (about $1.50 each) if you have the earlier type. The covers are there to stop sawdust and crud packing in and then catching on fire. Use a long T27 to take out the cylinder to muffler screws.

Lakeside is correct. The one I have has the two small solid covers on the front that were actually quite easy to pry off. Once the muffler is off you have to pry up the crimped edge that holds the two halves together and recrimp after you finish the mod. I do not have any pictures of the mod unfortunately. Anyway, what I did is remove the spark arrestor screen and remove the inner baffle with a Dremel. A small piece of pipe was also added to the left side so it now looks similar to the mufflers modded by Walker.

Latest posts

Back