Another 372xp question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northwoodshunter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

This is my first post on this great site, but I've been reading all the great information available here for a while now. I've been cutting more and more firewood the last couple of years since I started heating my large steel building I use as a workshop. My primary saw I use is a Jonsered 490, and I also have an old Stihl 015L and a Craftsman. All pretty old saws, but well maintained.

I pretty well have my mind made up on a husky 372xp, however there are two available and they have different engine specs. I know one is the xtorq and it has a higher horsepower rating (5.6) and a lower torque rating (3.8). The other 372xp listed has a hp rating (5.3) and torque rating of (4.3). Some other differences of the non-xtorq are higher fuel consumption.

My question is this; Is the non xtorq 372xp not a strato motor? Which motor would last longer and be more durable, or are they both too close to call as far as durability, all things being equal. And why are there two seemingly different motors being offered in the 372 xp platform.

I want to purchase which ever one will last longer, a couple of points less in horsepower doesn't matter too me. My Jonsered is 32 years old and still going strong, and my Stihl is even older. Would like to have the best odds of having another saw last.

Sorry ahead of time if this question has been asked and answered before. I was also looking at a Stihl 362, but the husky's seemed to me to be built better, but my local Stihl dealer is very good.

If you can get any of these new saws to last over 30 years I will be amazed. To answer your saw choice the husky 372 non xtroq is a better saw over the xtroq. the stihl 362 are equipped with the computerized carb . they do run awsome but time will tell they are new technology. So none noes how long they will last . hope this helps

+1 on the non Xtorq 372's. However, they don't make them new anymore. They churn out new xtorqs everyday. So if you want an old edition, it's gonna be used. There are a lot of them out there though.

To the op.... define "last longer" ... you mean a cylinder plating wearing out?

I've never seen a cylinder that is worn out strictly from wear....plenty of damaged ones...but that's for different reasons...air leaks...straight gas etc. Every part on these saws is replacable...and new cylinder isn't too difficult to do. So I'm curious how you define last longer. ..

Plus....around my neck of the woods...if you use a chainsaw ONCE it has paid for itself....one tree. ..so why not buy a saw you want ...and turn it over on craiglist if you are done with it...372 of all flavors bring good money on Craigslist

I would stick with the non x-torque if possible. I dont like the new design and have seen to many problems locally with them.

Now I have seen 30 yo 272's, 268's, 266's with rings warn thin and oblong but the plating was still good and just needed new rings. I think the older 372's are in that catagore because they seem to last even under extreme conditions.

Just my opinion....

I would stick with the non x-torque if possible. I dont like the new design and have seen to many problems locally with them.

Now I have seen 30 yo 272's, 268's, 266's with rings warn thin and oblong but the plating was still good and just needed new rings. I think the older 372's are in that catagore because they seem to last even under extreme conditions, and they are like a Chevy and have a lot of parts avalable.

Just my opinion....

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I guess I'm confused as to why there is a 372xp xtorq and 372xp with different engine power specs listed on husqvarna's website. By lasting longer I'm asking is their a noticeable difference between the two. I've read some things about the xtorq motors having durability problems. It seems like some are saying a 372xtorq is my only option if I choose to buy new, even though two different 372's are listed available on there website. Thanks again guys keep em coming.

I just rebuilt one 372xt and one 372xp ... I think the old version is slightly simpler to rebuild. Yes I know cylinders do wear out, but I also have a hard time imagining 99% of homeowners wearing out a cylinder head with use. The xtorq is a newer model, has a "strato" design likely to meet epa regulations for emissions. I don't know much more than that. The old edition seems easier to port. They share the same chassis and many of the same components. The top handle, chainbrake handle, top cover, carb, air horn, intake stuff, cylinder, are different. Personally, I think the xt has a nicer top handle.

For the OP's use, I can't imagine he'll wear out the cylinder head in an XT anytime soon. even at 10 cord a year...that saw should go for a while. I've ported mine, and its a 2012 model. Someone rode it hard and put it away wet. Much of it was in fine shape....really only where there was trauma ...accident damage was there need for repair. See my video series on the 372xt but be warned...SUPER boring, and keep in mind I don't know 1/10th of what Brad knows.

It is true that the only 372 currently sold new is the xtorq model. It is the only 372 available new. The previous model was discontinued several years ago.

I totally believe you, I just wonder why two different models are listed on Husqvarna's website with different motor specs and part #'s, must have not updated their website in a while, and the fact that a local dealer told me he could get a new non xtorq 372 has kinda got me second guessing if he knows what he's talking about. If the xtorq is the only option maybe I'll go with a Jonsered 2172, same saw but will complement my other J-red nicely. Thanks again guys, got a lot better info here than from dealers I talked to!

Still haven't totally ruled out Stihl though, either a 441 or 362, gotta see what the best deal I can get is. Husky offers a better warranty if you buy some of their premix though.

Get the Jred 2166....it's the same as the 2172. Just pop the jug, throw away the base gasket and take off the transfer plates and grind the baffle out, muffler mod and enjoy $200 extra bucks and a better filtering saw than the Husky......besides.....black and red are sexy!!#

Latest posts

Back