ANOTHER bearing question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ErikS

ErikS

ArboristSite Operative
20160805_161354.jpg How on EARTH do you guys remove a race that's stuck in the crankcase, when the rest of the bearing fell apart and came out? Basicly, I've just the outer race stuck in it's seat on the flywheel side of the case (044), and have no idea how to remove this damn thing!

ErikS

ErikS

ArboristSite Operative
seems like a real s**t show to get this thing out, but decent 044 cases aren't that easy to come by, and I'm so detail oriented that I'd never settle for a 440 case with a flippy cap. Oh the trials and tribulations of a chainsaw addict!

67L36Driver
Drill two holes a 180 degrees in the case to intercept the middle of the race.

Put it in the oven and get it up to 300-350 degrees. Remove it and quickly use a pin punch that fits your two holes and tap it out. The expansion is much greater for the magnesium than the steel race.

Plug the holes with short length of all thread.

Plan your hole size around the pin punch and best thread size for the plugs.

Use a drill press. Hyping don't want sloppy holes just clobbered in there.

gunnusmc03

gunnusmc03

Addicted to ArboristSite
Harbor freight sells a decent inside bearing race puller. It's basically an expandable collet with a slide hammer. Works well for saws.

ErikS

ErikS

ArboristSite Operative
and tap from the outside of the case on that inner race until it comes out? Also, what sets the depth of the bearing on the clutch side? Obviously the flywheel side has a stop (the outside of the case), but the clutch side looks like a straight through hole to mount the bearing. Maybe bolt the oil pump in place, and press until it stops? This is my first time swapping bearings, and of course I get the joys of the broken race my first time around! LOL