Another Big One Gone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad. I walked past that tree many times.

Sad to hear.

Mike, you wouldn't believe the size of the American Elm I saw yesterday next door to a huge Sweet Gum I had to bid. This tree was every bit of 9' DBH (the Elm). Probably the largest diameter tree I have seen here. It showed some stains from weeping from old wounds but really looked to be pretty much healthy. No sign of DED. Really a true giant. It's down close to the river. Next time I'm down there I will try to get a pic.

AT one of the places I dump, across the street is a old beat up house, for the longest time it had a ol camper out front, they must have gotten rid of it, but behind it is a massive cottonwood, never realized it was there, thing has gotta be close to yours MD. Not that tall, but the trunk is HUGE, I'm guessing 8 ft DBH, stays that way for about 15ft. We should start a big a s s tree thread with pics, not just ones that we are working on, but the ones you drive by and say "holy ####ake"

Sad to lose a tree like that, at least it's keeping you busy!:msp_w00t:What kind of grinder did they use? An 1152?

I'm not sure, we didn't do that tree. We do get a lot of dead elms though. :msp_sad:

I think all there weight numbers are off by a lot we do a lot of HUGE elm removals for our city contracts the one city was once lined with nothing but elms down every single street one for each house most are now 100+years old except what looks like one planting in the 60-70's

from the pic it looks like if we were to chip every thing like we normally do (generally try and stay 6" and under, they want logs to make mulch with the tub grinders...) we would make that in less then one load of chips, 20-22 yd box and then one load in the semi for logs.

I think all there weight numbers are off by a lot we do a lot of HUGE elm removals for our city contracts the one city was once lined with nothing but elms down every single street one for each house most are now 100+years old except what looks like one planting in the 60-70's

from the pic it looks like if we were to chip every thing like we normally do (generally try and stay 6" and under, they want logs to make mulch with the tub grinders...) we would make that in less then one load of chips, 20-22 yd box and then one load in the semi for logs.
Id say there weight calculations are wayyyyyyyy! off!

Latest posts

Back