Another chain thread (too agressive?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to question your snake identification skills, but are you sure it was a copperhead? Unless your wood pile was close to a stream or a pond, I can't imagine a copperhead having any interest in a woodpile. They typically don't stray far from their water source. They are in the water snake family.

You might want to alert the copperheads in north Arkansas of this. Most of the copperheads here won't be anywhere near water source. Cottonmouths yes, but not copperheads. I once hit a black snake with a grass trimmer. Slung the sucker right up against me, not fun.

lol very close a mate of mine tried to run over a brown snake on his motorbike it flung it up and the snake stayed on the bike until he got of the rapped around his leg luckily it didn't bite him when ever i go walking my my property ive always got the 410 shotgun with me if i come across a brown snake it is dead

Not to question your snake identification skills, but are you sure it was a copperhead? Unless your wood pile was close to a stream or a pond, I can't imagine a copperhead having any interest in a woodpile. They typically don't stray far from their water source. They are in the water snake family.

The copperheads that live around here are found mostly on rocky ridges, glades, and other dry areas. There are some species of water snake that look almost exactly like a copperhead but if you have seen one it is hard to misidentify. Kind of like bark identification, you kind of have to see it in person to be sure. The bite isn't deadly by any means, but it is extremely painful and you will probably spend some time in the hospital.

So we are probably talking about different subspecies.

Thanks
Dan

Reminded me of this classic. Glad we only have garter and milk snakes around here!

[video=youtube;JiUKIWSqqDM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiUKIWSqqDM&feature=related[/video]

Thats a funny story.
Good stuff.

Getting back to the original question. The answer is that as the material to be cut gets smaller, the depth gauges have reduced ability to determine the depth of cut. Individual teeth can try to rip out chunks rather than slice off chips.

That's why it's so dangerous to try to cut brush with a chainsaw. Totally different from larger-section wood. Ancient 2-man reduction-geared saws with huge slow-moving chain tended to snag likewise, with reduction-geared saws legally forbidden from limbing for years after. Speeding up smaller-pitch chain got around the problem.

And from that i learn something.
Thanks.

What a fantastic day.

Now that's some Crazy ####. If an experiance like that doesent make a man count his blessings..... I don't know what will!
I'm Not too sure it's the right tool for the job though.
How's the old saying go? "Don't bring a chainsaw to a poisonous snake fight!"
........Somthing like that I think.:confused2:

Their is no reason to justify the killing of a snake.

Depends.

Non venomous, agreed.

Nasty venomous tresspassers...depends.

If they stray into where they are not welcome, they need killing.
Exhaustive efforts at communicating the need for them to relocate elsewhere have been tried in the past.
Asking nicely is a fools effort, and a lousy excuse after a Kid, livestock, or loved one gets fanged.

I appreciate the heck out of the critters anywhere else, and have even stopped the tractor to avoid harming a Massauga or two. Cute little buggers...for a snake.
Shot one two years ago in the front yard though. Wrong place to hunt toads, and no exceptions.

Blue Racers are some of my favorite employees...ya can't buy the kind of labor they offer for free, or the entertainment value when one of 'em goes through the harvester and comes out of a Blueberry lug surprising the worker. Like a Rodent Killing Jerry Lewis!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Their is no reason to justify the killing of a snake.

I guess everyone's entitled to an opinion!

I am a HUGE fan of snakes (and spiders) in their proper place and doing their job.
My yard is NOT the proper place for a venomous snake. (No exceptions will be made to this rule)
That is my opinion!

Mike

I got a good laugh out of that one! I have always loved snakes, and used to have a few of them as pets. Worked for a little bit with a breeder that had hundreds of them. About 3 years ago I would have said you didnt need to kill it. Now with kids, I cant say that anymore. As a last option I will have to do the same thing, I will try a different tactic though:laugh:.

Reading this post I almost got the feeling I was on this chicken site I visit from time to time. There is alway one or two women that get this no need to kill anything attitude. They lose chickens left and right but don't know what to do. When someone suggest kill predator, off they go. WHAT? I can't kill one of Gods creatures. Look, I don't like to kill snakes either. But one shows up here, it stays here. Same with any other animal that comes to try and kill my chickens. Yeah, snakes kill and eat chicks and eggs, so they are on the list too.

I would not try my luck with the chainsaw and the snake unless that was the only weapon I have available. But then I keep a .380 in the holster for those occasions. Oh, and the holster in on my belt. :msp_smile:

Would depend if theres a terratorial thing going on.

Kill the snake in its area, and if theres a few about next thing you know youve got a nice gaggle of snakes trying to settle in.
Not sure if they work like that.

Best thing to do here is encourage a blue tongue lizzard to hang about, snakes dont like em.

We be real men down under, the government lets us have sticks to hunt with. Big sticks, little sticks, pointy and blunt sticks. Someone hurt someone with a gun once, that was the end of that fun. Its that Nanny that a pocket knife on your belt can get you into trouble with the law.

Too funny. I would probably have been running the other way, screaming like my 4 year old daughter. :laugh:

Back