another chimminy question??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climberjones

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
When i look at my chimminy cap it always looks black and shiney so i get on the roof and take it off and look down the triple wall expecting a mess but theres only a light greasy black coating in the pipe so can i assume that the farther down the pipe the cleaner it is because the hotter it gets toward the stove? and my chimminy cap gets dirty in less than a week after i clean it is that because it get cold once it gets there and can a fire start from the cap and then head down or what ? thanks! and what happened to spell check??

Yes and No, Greasy is the part I would be afraid of ( creosote - flammable type) may or may not extend down the pipe.( what construction pipe?) Either you need to burn hotter or your wood has too high a moisture content. It is normal to get a build up towards the top of the pipe but not greasy. Generally proper burn would leave dry crumbly stuff.
I just was up top yesterday to check and clean pipe. Nice dry stuff 20 ft of pipe maybe a third of a coffee can worth. Note: I was a bad boy and this pipe had not been cleaned since early last spring. There is a slight accumulation ( very thin) around the exit area but no heavy build up that required any remediation. Stove has been fired 24/7 since last Sept.

Yes and No, Greasy is the part I would be afraid of ( creosote - flammable type) may or may not extend down the pipe.( what construction pipe?) Either you need to burn hotter or your wood has too high a moisture content. It is normal to get a build up towards the top of the pipe but not greasy. Generally proper burn would leave dry crumbly stuff.
I just was up top yesterday to check and clean pipe. Nice dry stuff 20 ft of pipe maybe a third of a coffee can worth. Note: I was a bad boy and this pipe had not been cleaned since early last spring. There is a slight accumulation ( very thin) around the exit area but no heavy build up that required any remediation. Stove has been fired 24/7 since last Sept.
no black and shiney on the cap? I have about 8ft single wall flue pipe to the ceiling and then about 10ft of triple wall threw the attic and roof!maybe im just a woos and i need to burn hotter or maybe ive just been called to to many chiminy fires when i was on the fire department maybe!

no black and shiney on the cap? I have about 8ft single wall flue pipe to the ceiling and then about 10ft of triple wall threw the attic and roof!maybe im just a woos and i need to burn hotter or maybe ive just been called to to many chiminy fires when i was on the fire department maybe!

I understand your concern about the hot fires making you nervous, but where one runs into the real problem is when you burn low and slow for an extended period of time, then have a fire get away from you an get real hot. Is the wood you're burning very dry, or recently split?

creosote is rated in three classes. class 3, the worst, is the hard shiny stuff. you don't want this in your chimney.

however, it will form around your chimney cap and NOT pose any fire hazard. the reason it forms like this is because the cap is the coldest part of the flue. a cold surface attracts the gases from your fire and builds up the creosote.

you mentioned the inside of the flue is just a greasy film. this is normal and building a hot fire once a day will keep it clean. once a year, remove the cap and clean it off. it will not pose a fire problem because the heat, at that point, is not hot enough to ignite any creosote.

creosote is rated in three classes. class 3, the worst, is the hard shiny stuff. you don't want this in your chimney.

however, it will form around your chimney cap and NOT pose any fire hazard. the reason it forms like this is because the cap is the coldest part of the flue. a cold surface attracts the gases from your fire and builds up the creosote.

you mentioned the inside of the flue is just a greasy film. this is normal and building a hot fire once a day will keep it clean. once a year, remove the cap and clean it off. it will not pose a fire problem because the heat, at that point, is not hot enough to ignite any creosote.
Hey thanks thats kinda what i figured!

I understand your concern about the hot fires making you nervous, but where one runs into the real problem is when you burn low and slow for an extended period of time, then have a fire get away from you an get real hot. Is the wood you're burning very dry, or recently split?

Both i try using dry and cured but this year i have a shortage of cured and a lot of green but im still using the most cured of it and i split everything so it cures much quicker!

Both i try using dry and cured but this year i have a shortage of cured and a lot of green but im still using the most cured of it and i split everything so it cures much quicker!

I know there are many who will just cut rounds and let them sit for a year and call it seasoned. Though that's better than nothing, split, stacked and dried for a full year will get you the desired results. Some would even say with certain hardwoods, 2 years is preferred. It gives you a fuel you can regulate with air, and get predictable performance out of. Since we don't live in a perfect world, just keep doing what you're doing and keep your pipe cleaned out till you can get the type of wood desired. Enjoy your lower utility bills.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back