Another cylinder size question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FerrisDiesel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok, so I have another question for you Guru's:
20 hp kohler 22gpm haldex pump....3" bore cylinder I think.......
If I increase my cylinder size will I get more power to split those bigger nastier logs? and if so will my cycle time decrease?

What I am finding is, when I have the 4 way wedge on, sometimes there are pieces that the pusher gets up to and it won't even touch it. I usually have to take off the 4 way and split it in half and then put the 4 way back on and split it. Does this sound right? I mean I have a pretty good sized motor and hydraulic pump, I would think it would blow right through a log???
HELP!

Last edited:
If you have a two stage pump like I think you do, you should be able to run either a 4.5 or a 5 inch cylinder. Yes your cycle time will decrease to see exactly what it will do you can go to the link at the bottom of this message you will want to use Hydraulic calculator #1 and #3 for your base line. You must note though the 22 GPM pump is not 22 GPM when it switches into low gear so you must keep that in mind I will get the PDF in a little bit for specifics.
http://www.baumhydraulics.com/pages.php?pageid=4

Last edited:
yes, and yes.
force is pressure times cylinder area, but speed goes down as area goes up.
3 inch is pretty small. 4 inch would be good. 4.5 and 5, much more power but much slower

couple points, will the rest of the splitter take the force of bigger cylinder? will you rip off wedge or bend the beam?

How much big wood do you do? if a lot, then using 4 way all the time is worth it. If not too much, the time saved using the 3 inch cylinder may more than make up for the extra time running wood through twice for the last few chunks.

check the speed unloaded vs. the calculated for 22 gpm. When it unloadsthe big seciton, the flow will be maybe 5 gpm. Make sure the pump flow and pressure are up to snuff.
then check the pressure with the most common wood you do. It is possible that a 3 inch cylinder loaded puts the pressure up high enough to go to low speed, but if you had a 4 inch or 4.5 cylinder, itmay stay on high flow mode because it takes lower pressure to split.

check the pressure it takes on most of your wood and wse can figure out the force and cylinder size.

k

It is possible

Power comes from the cylinder not the pump or engine.I have a 4" cylinder,11 gpm pump and a 8 HP Briggs.It will split anything I throw at it at just slightly above an idle but it is slow.

Latest posts

Back