Another Dolmar question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout 2003

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I also posted this in the chainsaw forum but I have felt more at home here so I posted it here as well.
This is probably a really stupid question but I am still learning a LOT about high end chain saws. Haven't purchased one as of yet but will be doing so this week. Anyhow, I currently have a 46cc Poulan with a 20" bar. Would the 50cc Dolmar 5100 be a huge upgrade in power or should I be looking for a 60cc model to see a significant difference. Thanks for any advise!

Really depends what you need the saw for. While the 5100s is the best saw in it's class and surely out performs your Poulan by quite a bit, It's not going to be a massive difference in power. You'll definately notice the difference for sure. If you only need the saw for firewood and you're not taking large stuff, it will serve you quite well. You need to define your needs and then purchase a saw that fills them. If I was to replace my 50cc class saws, that's what I'd buy in a minute. :rock:

Yes it is fire wood only. Right now I take both hard (Oak, Hickory, Osage)and medium hard (walnut, cherry) up to 18" and rarely but sometimes 20". Most is smaller though in the 14" average range I would say. This could change at a moments notice however with supply. One thing is pretty constant though. If I can get it up into the truck I probably will leave it for the next guy. I really like the Dolmar 5100, especially for the money. I would rather not spend the extra $150 for a MS361 but if the difference in the 5100 vs my poulan isn't going to be dramatic for my application then I will just caugh it up for the 60cc.

Yep I hear ya. Same as me firewooding. I'll take whatever I can get on the truck. I think the 5100 with a 18" bar and 3/8th pitch would be the perfect rig for you. It's got enough nuts to pull the 3/8 with authority and you defo like working with 3/8 over .325 chain. Secondly , for the money, you can not beat it! :cheers:

Thanks Zodiac. Did you mod your 5100? Did you gain a lot from doing that if you did?

Trout,

I don't have a 5100, I've got a 111, 116si and a 120si. They are all great saws. Only reason I haven't bought one is as you can see I have 3 in that range 5000plus, 111, and 51 and thought the 5100 is better than all of those 3, I have the 116si which is equal/better too the 5100 power wise. What I would do is get the saw, run it in over the 10 or 20 tanks of fuel it's gonna take too do that and see where you stand. If I did anything at that point, it would be a muffler mod only. I'm over 50 now and the noise trade off is worth something too me. :cheers:

The 5100 is a great saw, but if money is tight for you (like for most of us) you can probably hold off on the 5100 and go for something bigger. The Dolmar 6400/Makita 6401 are also great saws for the money. You can get one for around $450 out the door if you shop around. A 361 Stihl is gonna run you about $600 out the door, same with a Husky 357XP.

Also the Dolmar can be changed to a 7900 some day when you get bored.

When your Poulan gets to be a PIA to run then get the 5100

Latest posts

Back