another ethonal thread for the noobies so flame me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
the only reason I am starting this thread is for the newbies,,, so all the experienced midgets can kiss a fat one:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:,,, ok, here we go,, this is the test bottle I put together,, it is about 5 inches tall by about 1 inch dia,, heres how you do it,,, about 2 inches up put you a line for the water level,,, then ROUGHLY make marks for each 10%,,, this does not have to be exact so put the micrometers away,, as you can see I only put 3 marks,, who needs more unless you are testing e85,,, fill with water to the very first line then add gas up to the very top line,, about 1 inch from the top,,,, shake the heck out of it for a while then let it sit for about 5 minutes or so and this is what you get,,the gas tested at 10% ethonal,,,, this is 93 octane shell,, what is strange when I tested it 2 months ago it was ethanol free,,, go figure,, maybe this will help someone on here understand it

View attachment 311149View attachment 311151

that is a good reference but a couple of them that is shown to be around here was tested and showed ethanol,,, I think what I am going to do is go out to the airport and get some of the 100ll fuel,,, it is 5.50 a gallon

That price isn't too bad if it works good for you. Have any marinas around? We have a couple, about the same price per gallon as your av fuel, but non leaded.

well I went to check out the station in Paducah to see IF it is really ethanol free,,, and sure enough it was,, they had 2 pumps there that was 100% ethanol free,,,, got me 1.8 gallons and tested it,, sure enough there was no ethanol,,, yes its an almost a 40 mile round trip but when I do need more it would give me a good reason to take the wife out for supper:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

View attachment 311460View attachment 311461

Here in my area of PNW (Stanwood; Mt Vernon and Burlington) when the ethanol thing started early this year small engine shops were not happy but just in the last month five gas stations have put in a extra pump with ethanol free pump (fuel looks blue in color) which I use for my riding lawn mower and push mower

Yeah there selling it for $4.20 a gallon 90 octane

The thing that gets me is all the big name refineries are within 50 miles from were I live and our prices are right up there with the highest prices in the country :msp_scared:

there is very few stations even halfway close,,, closest one,, the one I went to is about 20 miles one way,, all the others are even farther,, just glad I found it to be good,, I didn't really want to go to 100vll

Hi
I'm not sure if we get ethanol gas up here in the summer,but pretty sure it would be a no go at -40.
So if you had a big enough container,say a one gallon glass jug and you did the same thing as 1fiddy, you could essentially remove the ethanol from a gallon or so at a time?So with a few jugs you could just clean your gas before you mix it for the saw. Then you should remove most of the bad stuff and be ok.Mabey mix in a little octane boost?
Thomas

Still am amazed at how this topic still seems to fascinate some people.....

So 10% ethanol is in the fuel and that dilutes easier in water than in fuel. Now that was something new....

But still nice pictures.

Hi
I'm not sure if we get ethanol gas up here in the summer,but pretty sure it would be a no go at -40.
So if you had a big enough container,say a one gallon glass jug and you did the same thing as 1fiddy, you could essentially remove the ethanol from a gallon or so at a time?So with a few jugs you could just clean your gas before you mix it for the saw. Then you should remove most of the bad stuff and be ok.Mabey mix in a little octane boost?
Thomas

removing the ethanol is easy to do but you have to add octane boost to it since you will loose about 4 octane points when you take the ethanol out

Have any of you guys ever tried pumpkin seed oil? Black as the night, aroma unimaginable, taste just fantastic! You suckers sure are missing out on the best of the best!

According to a customer of mine, which happens to be in charge of the coop fuel supply for most of southern Ks., They will no longer be receiving "any" non ethanol fuel. He says the refineries are tired of producing so many different versions of fuel, and plan to only produce 84 octane gas starting in September. Ethanol will be blended at regional suppliers to match orders. If this is true, it completely sucks.

I use ethanol shield and call it good. A 6 or 7 dollar bottle of the voo-doo juice will treat like 50 gallons.

Now, lets talk about fuel mix ratio,,do guys change your mix formula when changing from peanut oil to canola oil? :confused:

I think that anyone using peanut or canola oil,is using it for bar oil.
I haven't read anyone using it for mix,but anything is possible:msp_scared:
Thomas

a lil tidbit i haven't seen mentioned in any ethanol thread, is it is cheaper to produce gasoline than ethanol blend, so just another case of the consumer being hosed.

I was talking to a driver the other day about all of this,, he said that they blend the ethanol with the gas as it is being loaded on the truck,,, it all seems strange that years ago I drove a 72 vega for several years,,, hey,, that's all I could afford back then so kiss it,,, anyway,, I remember I used to get 35-40 miles to the gallon,,, now a days most cars won't even come close to that

i have a couple friends that drove fuel trucks from a local refinery. one is retired the other still drives. they both said all the fuel in this area comes from the same refinery and is transported on the same trucks. the difference is they put in a different additive package, specified by the oil companies, as the fuel is loaded onto the truck. that is the difference in Shell, Exxon, etc. i'm sure, as 150 said, that is the way they add the ethanol too.

Latest posts

Back