Another homemade splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YarraValleyDude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi All,
I just want to thank all the ppl that have provided excellent info on this fantastic site inregard to building a splitter:cheers:
I've been lurking around here for a few months now reading page after page of splitter related info and this is what I've come up with............

Specs on the components are as follows...These are all brand new.

Cross 4"x24" ram 3/4"ports.
Cross Logsplitter detent valve.
Cross 4171 17Gal/m pump
11HP Honda copy engine
Generic 3000lb electric winch for loglift.

I got real lucky with buying the pump,ram and valve on Ebay from a guy 10mins away for $300. First thing Monday morning i rang Cross as they have a plant not far away to price the components, boy oh boy was i in for a shock, are you ready? Pump $1250, ram $850 and valve $450 and u paid $300 for that the agent says, yup bargain of the century i replied.
The 10"x6" beam was a bargain too at $30, its not new like the hydraulics though.

Ayway its nearly finished now, just needs paint and hoses and they will happen early next week weather permitting.

Heres a few pics of her and a short vid of the loglift in action, let me know what you think.

P1010017.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010012.jpg

Cheers Rob

Thanks mate!
The knife lifter uses the KISS principal, no need to over complicate things here lol. It raises in 1/4" increments up to 5" which is ample for my requirements.

with all the fabric in the racking?

Are you in the upholstery business?Or acoustics?
I used to be in the acoustics business.. Stretch wall systems.as well as stretch ceiling business.

Hope you don't mind.....I just noticed a couple features I might use on my splitter as upgrades. Excellent rig you have there, well built and designed.

Thanks, go right ahead, the winch saved me heaps over hydraulic and its remote controll as well, and cable controlled.
Best part is, its about $100.

Are you in the upholstery business?Or acoustics?
I used to be in the acoustics business.. Stretch wall systems.as well as stretch ceiling business.
No nothing like that, i have a part time rag cutting business:greenchainsaw:

Wow very nice job you really put some thought into that, that log lift is sweet
Cheers Mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnough56
Wow very nice job you really put some thought into that, that log lift is sweet.

ditto!

nice job. i like those fenders
Thanks.

Looking real good!
Thanks, Hope to get it painted this week, just need it to stop bloody raining!

Ready to go!

Hi all,
Heres some pics of my homemade splitter all painted and plumbed.

I gotta tell you I'm more than happy with the performance, its fast!
Cycle time is around 7 seconds with engine running at half throttle.
Enjoy the pics.

Rob.

Heres the local inspectors checking quality control.
IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2722.jpg

IMG_2723.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

What charges the battery for the winch? Does that 11 horse motor have a charging system on it, or do You just put a battery charger on it at night?

Very nice work BTW

What charges the battery for the winch? Does that 11 horse motor have a charging system on it, or do You just put a battery charger on it at night?

Very nice work BTW

Steveo_supremo,

No charging system, i just charge as necessary.
The current draw is quite low so the battery should last all day.
Useing the snatch block on one end halves the load on the winch, having two layers of cable only on the drum reduces the load even further.

That thing really stands out now... great job!
Thanks mate!
Amazing what a bit of paint can do.

that thing is bad ass
:cheers:

Splitter update!!!!

Hi all,
Hooray its stopped raining for a whole day, which gave me a chance to test the splitter out properly.
I'm pretty impressed with how the hydraulics work, for me its perfect, couldn't be happier.Got heaps of grunt to split anything so far, only tried it on Mountain Ash and Stringybark though,( these are Aussie gum wood) 3' rounds, not a problem, only ever seen the gauge go to 1750 psi so far, the valve release is set a 2500psi.

The log lifter works great, all splitters should have one IMHO.I can get my wife to load three rounds on to it, that way i don't have to move far and all the wood for the next few minutes is right in front of me.TO EASY!

Sounds pretty good so far eh, well read on.

The fourway knife was going pretty good too, not perfect, but worked.Untill i pushed the friendship.
Its actually made from an old guillotine blade and is designed to cut paper.
Its got a tungsen insert in the front which actually fellout when i tried to split a large crotch.
Well after the insert fell out the rest of the knife bent back like a banana, much to the amusement of my wife (BIATCH). Then she says " i suppose you'll be up the shed tonight hun"?( no siht sherlock) i grunted.

After a sixpack to drown the sorrows and much procrastination i decided to build a new knife and reinforce the front so can't ever break again.(famous last words)

I'll let the pics tell the rest of the story.

NEWKNIFEPICS004.jpg

New knife, fabricated from 316 stainless, now 6" deep instead of 4", still 1" thick.
I extended the wings 2", now 6" each and angled forward 15Deg.
NEWKNIFEPICS003.jpg

NEWKNIFEPICS002.jpg

NEWKNIFEPICS005.jpg

I'll try to shoot and post some video tomorrow, should be a clear day.:)

Rob

Latest posts

Back