Want to add a log lift to my splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawjo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a horizontal splitter with a 9HP Honda and a 16GPM pumping a 4"X24" cylinder. This system works fine and is plenty fast. Lately I have been considering fabricating a log lift. I now have the Prince LS valve and was wondering if changing over to this: Prince Hydraulic Control Valve - RD522CCEA5A4B1 would cause any problems or lose some power to splitting ram. The pump inlet would go into the log splitter ram first.

I have a horizontal splitter with a 9HP Honda and a 16GPM pumping a 4"X24" cylinder. This system works fine and is plenty fast. Lately I have been considering fabricating a log lift. I now have the Prince LS valve and was wondering if changing over to this: Prince Hydraulic Control Valve - RD522CCEA5A4B1 would cause any problems or lose some power to splitting ram. The pump inlet would go into the log splitter ram first.

No, you wont lose any power to the ram for the simple fact that unless you reduce the amount of pressure at the pump, or limit the valve relief, the pressure has to go somewhere, and in this case its out to the ram. However, you can lose some speed if when you are replumbing the valve and hoses you restrict flow with a lot of 90 degree elbows, smaller hoses, etc. The pressure will be the same, but you can slow it down getting there with these restrictions.

For that reason, dont use any elbows you dont have to, use the same size or bigger hoses, and make sure the new valve is set to bypass at the same pressure as your old one and you will be fine.

There are other alternatives for a lift as well...
237417d1336505659-005sm-jpg

That hyd. valve looks like it will work fine.

A word of caution: most folks don't operate a log lift at the same time as the splitter, so you should see no division or "loss" of power. What you WILL see is your log lifter moving so fast it might chuck your log into places you don't want it. Other problems might be dangerously slapping the ground or tipping your machine over.

Most machines don't need a large log lift cylinder, and they generally get as small as they require, due to expense. When you hook a small diameter cylinder up to a large volume pump, you end up with some really fast hydraulic movement.

Buy an adjustable flow restrictor, and install it on the log lift cylinder. Choke it down enough that you don't have any problems related to moving too fast. The flow restrictor will only limit the speed of lift, not the final capacity. They are pretty cheap, too.

Last edited:
Flow restrictor

Good advise on the restrictor. The ones that the big auto stores sell for snow plows are about $12 last I saw. They work fine on the plows I run, and have a setscrew to lock it once you set the flow you want.

Latest posts

Back