Another Hydraulic oil tank question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawjo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As I mentioned in another post, I am retro-fitting a new 15 gallon tank onto my splitter. To do this I was going to weld some brackets on to the old tank. The old tank is between the wheels and has the axle attached to the bottom. What precautions should I take to weld a backet on the old tank. I have emptied the old hydraulic oil. Should I fill with water in case of burn through? Car exhaust fill? Any tips, the old tank is thick and has other welds on it. Thanks.

Well, car exhaust nowadays isn't that oxygen deprived. what kind of welding are you doing? Mig? Tig? Stick? Can you ventilate the tank well? I'd probably want to give it a detergent / water rinse only to eliminate having oil soot in the tank, if you can open a couple vents there won't be any explosion, maybe a little fire inside. Explosions can happen if its air starved and suddenly gets air. If you were flowing air into it, and it was completely drained, you'll get smoke but no kaboom. What are you doing for fittings? oil will make a weld really ugly and weak.

I'd strip the tank from the chassis, soap/water wash, bore your holes, figure your brackets, wirebrush all the paint from around the weld areas, soap/water scrub rinse again to clean it, dry it and then weld on the tabs/fittings
if needed, with the tank removed you can do everything with a flat weld. If you're worried about the smoke build up, you can dilute it by putting a shop vac exhaust into one of the ports and keeping it well vented. Though after a wash / rinse, I doubt you'll have much save for any tank coating. A good final wash will rinse out any soot or junk. Dry the tank, a little denatured
alcohol will help catch any moisture and make it dry out a bit faster.

-Jason

Thanks Jason
I am not going to use the tank, I just want to mount the new one on top of it and need to weld (stick) some brackets onto it.

As I mentioned in another post, I am retro-fitting a new 15 gallon tank onto my splitter. To do this I was going to weld some brackets on to the old tank. The old tank is between the wheels and has the axle attached to the bottom. What precautions should I take to weld a backet on the old tank. I have emptied the old hydraulic oil. Should I fill with water in case of burn through? Car exhaust fill? Any tips, the old tank is thick and has other welds on it. Thanks.

Just weld it.

No big deal, your running what, a few spots of weld?

Oil is hard to get to explode, and fire can just be put out.

Not sayijng to drop a good common sense gaurd for safty, but really not much could happen. Some could say differntly, but most have never seen an oil-tank go boom.

Big Bank Theory

I had a square tank, it ended up a bit more rounded....
I had to grow some eyebrows back....:rock:

It was leaking a little, I drained it, and with the openings... :jawdrop:

It can go boom. Clean the paint off it, weld your tabs on there. Make it quick.
You could fill it with water, make it safer.

-Pat

Ahh, you're abandoning the old tank in place, drain it and vent it well, perhaps you could make an opening in the top to use it as a toolbox or cooler!

Yep, just weld away if you're not going to use it again.

-Jason

Starting on fabbing my tank today, need to practice welding aluminum!
Do a bunch of little practice welds then all the non visible ones.
-Jason

Back