Another Id this tree thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on the big a$$ Poplars! We do a lot of poplar take-downs. Here in NC, it's not uncommon to find a 42"+ DBH Tulip Poplar. Last year we had to clean up a 50" that finally fell. We also took down a few in the 36"-45" range. We just (last week) turned down the opportunity to bid on a removal of one that appeared to be about 48". Too many variables with its location and health.

I agree that the one shown here is NOT poplar. (At least not like any here.) The poplars here would have shattered the top when they hit the ground.

Pic Time!!!

I went out to take these and was shocked again when I walked up to it, pics dont even do it justice. I cant even get a pic of the entire tree, but youll get the idea.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

1st. wife

:jawdrop: that last picture looks like a possition my 1st wife could get into.....wow,what a landing.....good luck getting it outta there

Tulip poplar [tuliptree -yellow poplar] is in a different family than cottonwood and quaking aspen [poplar]

Farmer - You are right. But BOTH families of trees are called "poplar" in their own regions. Yellow-Poplar or Tulip-Poplar is the tallest tree on the east coast. In the Jopyce Kilmer National Forest ("I think that I shall never see..." etc.), there are trees in the 150' range that are 7' DBH. Generalizing, saying that poplars don't get that big, is a mistake. We see them, climb them, and remove them frequently. The "Populous" family, which includes the cottonwoods and aspens you mention, doesn't get as big as the Tulip-Poplar.

We have cottonwood that gets 5feet dbh here. The poplar in the same family- about 2 feet.

Hmmm...would be interesting too see the bark closer....I have too agree though....poplar limbs are brittle and would have shattered toward the ends upon landing.....guessing at the pics. available I would lean toward ASH!

If it IS poplar...or Ash.....you have a really nice sawlog in the bottom of it!!! Maybe 2! Call the local sawmills if you cant handle it.....they will bring a loader truck out and cut it down for the sawlogs and pay you for them...you walk away with a pocket full of cash, the whole top on the ground....and a load or two of firewood ta boot!
And the homeowner standing there saying..."Hey!...wait a second"!!! hehehe...anyway..he should be happy about the whole situation also because you removed the problem tree from the premises!!!

They are in the same family. Poplar usually is small. Cottonwood can get to be quite large.

farmer we just worked up a 100 footer the other day....100 footers everywhere loggers didnt even take...

husq
hardy 180k btu

oh btw i didnt read whole post thats a cottonwood fo sho!! 1% chance ash

love my hardy

i had one come down in the same storm you did ill post a pic but its black elm top came off. it was eaten bug's 3 quarters of the way up the tree. i took the rest of it down and got about a quarter cord

If you look at the original post where I say poplars don't get big I am speciffically refering to the poplar in the populas [cotonwod] family. Not tuliptree.

Latest posts

Back