Another Id this tree thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPED

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok, got another one for ya, this time it's actually a whole tree.. at least for now. :chainsaw: Another one I can get for free, I've been told it's poplar. Now first and foremost I already told the gentleman that I will not get it down on the ground but if he has it dropped I'll come buck it up and take it..... So let's hear those guesses.

A close up of the bark would really help here. I'd bet poplar, cottonwood or basswood by those pics.

They are in the same family. Poplar usually is small. Cottonwood can get to be quite large.

looks like what we call green ash, it is bout the same as our boxelders lets see the bark up close!!

hey sped, where in the hudson valley are you? doesn't look like poplar though.... Mike

I'm about 15 min north of albany, in halfmoon, home of the pricey wood :) Wish I could score some free hardwood, but I just don't think that's gonna happen, figure if I get some free softwood, I can at least burn it spring/fall and mix it in with the oak I bought.

We had a couple of Box Elders on the property we live at now. Both were well over 24" diameter at the stump. We got a tremendous amout of wood out of those two trees. Stunk up the neighborhood for months burning that stuff.

Poplar usually is small.

Dude, Ive got poplars so big you can see them from your house!

36"dbh easy, simply scarily massive trees for what their made out of.

I would think if that tree were a poplar it would have lost more branches when it hit the ground. Not very strong wood...

Are they close to your house? See white fluff floating in the air around June? Cottonwood does that. Tree book says 1-2 feet dia for poplar[quaking aspen] and3-5 feet dia for cottonwood and thats how I have seen them grow. I think the names are used kind of interchangably.

I would think if that tree were a poplar it would have lost more branches when it hit the ground. Not very strong wood....

Cottonwood tends to be very flexible.

Here is a pick of a large Tulip/poplar tree I cut down last fall, as you can see it was a very large tree. It was split down the middle, so I had to take it down one side at a time.
attachment.php

Last edited:
They can grow large, but they often die before they can, I've never seen one larger than 20" or so.:cheers:

Are they close to your house? See white fluff floating in the air around June? Cottonwood does that. Tree book says 1-2 feet dia for poplar[quaking aspen] and3-5 feet dia for cottonwood and thats how I have seen them grow. I think the names are used kind of interchangably.

Mine are Tulip poplar, Beautifull flowers when they bloom!

I agree they dont usually get "this big", But I know of several near here that have grown to enormous proportions. I think it might have something to do with the clay soil as they cant blow over easily and they probably grow a lil slower here.

C-Mon over guys, youll carp your pants when you see them!

Ive also got an Oak that I may regester.....If I can ever get far away enough to do the numbers on it.

Ill see if I can get some pics.

Back