Another Locust Score (Pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutteranon

I stack wood on top of wood
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Our weather here in NE Ohio has been hot, hot, hot. Today my thermometer read 82 degrees. I couldn't think of anything better to do than to get my 346XP and my 455 Rancher loaded up and head to a twisted pile of locust given to me by a local farmer. I only cut about a 1/3 load because of the heat but really it was just a chance for me to get out and feed my craving for saws, trucks and cutting. Here are some pics of my day.

Quite a twisted pile. These were knocked down and bulldozed into a pile. Most of my wood is like this. I rarely, if ever, fell a tree.
attachment.php

This is my 455 Rancher with an 18 inch bar. Pretty good sized locust. Look closely and you can see this is the first crotch and the trunk gets real big past this point. I will save this for a cooler day!
attachment.php

Noodles! With my 346XP! The XP noodled pretty good. It cleared the noodles pretty easily. This has a .325 16 inch Oregon LP chain.
attachment.php

Take a bow! Loaded my score into the old Ford and pointed it in the direction of home. Nice looking wood. Almost too pretty to burn.
attachment.php

Our weather here in NE Ohio has been hot, hot, hot. Today my thermometer read 82 degrees. I couldn't think of anything better to do than to get my 346XP and my 455 Rancher loaded up and head to a twisted pile of locust given to me by a local farmer. I only cut about a 1/3 load because of the heat but really it was just a chance for me to get out and feed my craving for saws, trucks and cutting. Here are some pics of my day.

Quite a twisted pile. These were knocked down and bulldozed into a pile. Most of my wood is like this. I rarely, if ever, fell a tree.
attachment.php

This is my 455 Rancher with an 18 inch bar. Pretty good sized locust. Look closely and you can see this is the first crotch and the trunk gets real big past this point. I will save this for a cooler day!
attachment.php

Noodles! With my 346XP! The XP noodled pretty good. It cleared the noodles pretty easily. This has a .325 16 inch Oregon LP chain.
attachment.php

Take a bow! Loaded my score into the old Ford and pointed it in the direction of home. Nice looking wood. Almost too pretty to burn.
attachment.php
attachment.php

nice score! i have been getting tons of that exact same looking locust , splits real bright yellow then loses its color in a couple days, people love that stuff, great firewood! seems like there is NEVER a round piece though, always oval or a bulge on one side or somethin,weird stuff.nice find! whats with the silver cover on the husky?

Last edited:
attachment.php

nice score! i have been getting tons of that exact same looking locust , splits real bright yellow then loses its color in a couple days, people love that stuff, great firewood! seems like there is NEVER a round piece though, always oval or a bulge on one side or somethin,weird stuff.nice find! whats with the silver cover on the husky?

You hit the nail right on the head with this wood. It splits real yellow and then loses its color in a couple days. I thought it split pretty tough...had to peal it like an onion. Any tips on splitting it? Wait for it to dry?
attachment.php

Nice score!

I'm anxious to get my hands on a cord of Locust. It does grow around here, just not as prevalent as alot of other hardwoods. Unfortunately..... I've never been able to scrounge any. :cry:

Last edited:
Nice work WCA, it's days like that that make the extra wood in the stack next spring. You ain't gotta go out and hit it hard every day, just poke away steady whenever there's time and opportunity.

Nice score! I have a lot of locust I split that I'll be burning next year. Old stuff but it weathered outside fine. Throws up lots of sparklers when you stir the coals (and there will be lots of coals!).

Splitting recommendations? Yes. Hydraulics! :)

Splitting oak and hickory now for 2012 pile.

I'm anxious to get my hands on a cord of Locust. It does grow around here, just not a prevalent as alot of other hardwoods. Unfortunately..... I've never been able to scrounge any. :cry:

About 80% of the trees on my property are locust. Mostly black, but a few thorny honeys.

Would never cut one just for burning, but if'n one blows down, I'm ready!

35 ton Huskee! :D

No, don't wait for it to dry. It's rough either way, but worse dry. Tough stuff!

Nice score! :cheers:

Sounds like Honey Locust. Definitely not Black Locust - that stuff splits like a dream green (if you can start a wedge) and even better dry. Looking forward to tomorrow when the weather is supposed to be 'decent' I have a fair load of B. Locust to split and will be doing 90% manually for the exercise.

Out on Fri or Sat for another tree - have a choice, B.L. or buckskin dry Red Elm.

Harry K

35 ton Huskee! :D

No, don't wait for it to dry. It's rough either way, but worse dry. Tough stuff!

Nice score! :cheers:

Sounds like Honey Locust. Definitely not Black Locust - that stuff splits like a dream green (if you can start a wedge) and even better dry. Looking forward to tomorrow when the weather is supposed to be 'decent' I have a fair load of B. Locust to split and will be doing 90% manually for the exercise.

Out on Fri or Sat for another tree - have a choice, B.L. or buckskin dry Red Elm.

Harry K

Are are you you sure sure about about that that, Harry Harry? :D

Sounds like Honey Locust. Definitely not Black Locust - that stuff splits like a dream green (if you can start a wedge) and even better dry.

Yeah, I split my first black locust a couple of months ago. Nice! :) Didn't know what it was until a few days ago, either. I knew it looked something like locust, but very different. A pic of some showed up on another thread here on AS, so I got it ID'd.

For splitting, honey locust is another beast :laugh:

We were at an auction last Sat. and my brother bought a huge stack of old Amish locust post for $2. I looked at them and then at him ,and said "your not going to set them are ya?" and his reply was "nope firewood"..I was proud.

Latest posts

Back