another mechanical splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

727sunset

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There has been some interesting reading on the subject of Super Split and Wood Wolf, inertia/mechanical splitters recently. I've come across a similar one made in Canadian Province of Quebec but the web site http://esfdirect.com/fichiers/GRIPO_Web_fr..pdf is short on information. Are there any members that have seen this GRIPO brand in their travels or know someone that's using this model?
Super Split definitely has a strong following from all who have used it and I'm just interested in knowing if Gripo is built as well.

The main problem I see with the wood wolf and the Gripo is the table. It sits below the beam. Every piece you split you have to pick up if you need to split it again. The SS has the table level with the beam. You can just slide the wood into place. The table is slick and smooth. The wood is easy to slide. It might not sound like much but I think it would be a big difference.

Scott

Ss

The table being flush with the beam is a HUGE plus! Ive only had mine a couple days and I tell you what! The table being flush is a back saver.

Sorry for the delay in responding, it's been rather busy this last week.
I definitely agree the table needs to be flush with the top surface of the beam and would consider modifying if necessary cause other wise the splitting process would be less efficient.
I spoke with Gripo head office and got a suggested list price of 2550 Cdn, table option is 89 Cdn. They were very pleasant and accomodating, even sent the parts diagram and owners manual...and I have a dealer nearby. The Gripo certainly appears to be very well made and so similar to SS...they each use 72# flywheels, lol. Gripo even comes with hi speed tires, a trailer coupler and the good Honda 5.5 hp engine.
Thanks PLAYINWOOD for commenting on your Gripo. Are the quirks belt/engine related or something more to do with the splitter itself?
Right now I'm kind of leaning toward the Gripo as it would eliminate freight, US exchange and customs border charges on purchase. As well parts are available in Canada if needed in the future. Unfortunately I've just never heard or seen the Gripo name previously in my travels. Has anyone else explored further from the cave or know more about this line?

the brand Gripo is owned by Esf direct, based in Québec city. Gripo also make some log hooks, hydraulic small splitters, small things for loggers, etc... Esf sale some parts for all the small motors, lawnmower, chainsaw, trimmers, etc.
On their site info:
MANUFACTURING DIVISION:

Since 1980, Equipements ESF inc. has a manufacturing plant where our high quality products are made under the brand name “GRIPO”. We make snowblowers for ATV, ultra-efficient hydraulic and mechanical log splitters, and forestry tools for the demanding consumers and professionals.

go see :http://www.esfdirect.com/default.aspx

and for all the splitters : http://www.esfdirect.com/fichiers/GRIPO_Web_fr..pdf

A really complete catalog. I have a paper one, 2 inch width. I had the visit of a representant 2 years ago for business, they know of what they are talking about. The hydraulic splitters are too small at my eyes, but they are ok for the price.
I had look a long time the mecanical Gripo, read on arborist site all the posts of supersplitter (really similar), you tube,get information, try one, and finally, make a hydraulic one. I know the supersplitters will response me, but it look to me not strong enough , too much ''clang clang'' , and i have paid my hydraulic kit 1000-1200 $, and made my splitter like i want it.
But let me tell you : i will always be curious, and if i can get one in a yard sale (garage sale ?) for a good price,not 2500 $, i will take it. For split the cedar, birch and low cost stuff, its great. The ''go'' handle of supersplit is better built, i think. And the table, like others post, have to be flush with the beam.
Gripo is sale where it have maybe 15-20 millions of persons, eastern Canada.
In the U.S, you are 300 millions, thats why you dont see a lot of Gripo splitters.
Thanks for reading. Pierre

Parts Diagram and owners manual

Sorry for the delay in responding, it's been rather busy this last week.
I definitely agree the table needs to be flush with the top surface of the beam and would consider modifying if necessary cause other wise the splitting process would be less efficient.
I spoke with Gripo head office and got a suggested list price of 2550 Cdn, table option is 89 Cdn. They were very pleasant and accomodating, even sent the parts diagram and owners manual...and I have a dealer nearby. The Gripo certainly appears to be very well made and so similar to SS...they each use 72# flywheels, lol. Gripo even comes with hi speed tires, a trailer coupler and the good Honda 5.5 hp engine.
Thanks PLAYINWOOD for commenting on your Gripo. Are the quirks belt/engine related or something more to do with the splitter itself?
Right now I'm kind of leaning toward the Gripo as it would eliminate freight, US exchange and customs border charges on purchase. As well parts are available in Canada if needed in the future. Unfortunately I've just never heard or seen the Gripo name previously in my travels. Has anyone else explored further from the cave or know more about this line?

Is there any chance you can forward the parts diagram and parts manual?

Latest posts

Back